NBCUniversal International Networks (NBCUIN) announced that the refreshed brand for its flagship, general entertainment channel has been unveiled today in the UK. South Africa will follow on May 10 with UNIVERSAL TV rolling out in Australia, Germany, Latin America and Brazil in the coming months. In evolving from Universal Channel to UNIVERSAL TV, the refresh delivers a bold, new, contemporary brand identity across all linear, digital and social platforms – including a new logo, typeface and fresh colour palette.
Continuing to draw on the strength, recognition and heritage of the “Universal” name – that’s long been synonymous with quality entertainment – the evolved proposition for the new-look brand continues to highlight that characters are at the heart of great storytelling.
In the UK, character-driven programming, including latest acquisitions The Resident, Gone and The Disappearance, have generated outstanding results for the brand in the previous weeks. Gone ranked as the top-rated premiere on the channel since Sleepy Hollow in 2013.(1)
As the destination brand that celebrates world-class, high-quality, character-driven content, UNIVERSAL TV is a top performing pay-TV channel in multiple markets around the world, localized in each market where it airs:
- In the UK, UNIVERSAL TV is ranked in the top 10 pay-TV channels(2)
- In Germany, 2017 saw the best full year since launching in September 2013, and the channel has continued to grow in 2018 with double digit year-on-year growth versus 2017 YTD*(3)
- In 2017, the channel saw its best performance in viewers (A18+) since 2009 in Mexico(4) and its strongest year in viewers (A16+) since 2010 in South Africa(5)
“UNIVERSAL TV’s reinvigorated identity best positions our flagship brand into the future as a relevant, compelling destination for fans of character-driven programming,” commented Lee Raftery, Chief Marketing & Content Officer and Managing Director UK & Emerging Markets, NBCUniversal International. “In making this latest investment in UNIVERSAL – combined with the raft of top-quality shows we have recently acquired – we’re reinforcing our commitment to delivering a must-watch destination for affiliate partners and viewers, alike.”
The UNIVERSAL TV brand refresh was developed via a collaboration between NBCUniversal International Networks’ Central Marketing team, the award-winning creative agency Red Bee – who established the brand positioning, brand logo and creative concept – and world-renowned brand consultant Lee Hunt. Specialist contributions were provided by Dalton Maag (typeface design studio), Future Deluxe (directed and produced brand idents motion) and Zelig Sound (music and sound design).
- Source: BARB / TechEdge. Live+7 viewing, Adults 16+. Season average includes combines 2am/9pm viewing for episode 1. Individual telecast rank based on Adults 16+ Viewers (000s).
- Source: BARB/TechEdge. Adults 16+ Viewers (000s), All Day. Ranking out of Pay TV channels. Live+7 data.
- Source: AGF in cooperation with Gfk. Based on Adults 16+ Viewers (0000s) in all homes. Live+3 data.
- Source: IBOPE / TechEdge. Based on Adults 18+ Viewers (000s) in Pay TV Homes. All Day, Live data.
- Source: DStv-i/ TechEdge. Based on Adults 16+ Viewers (000s) in DStv homes
*YTD based on January-March