Check out the above and below ads created for French fashion and perfume brand Chanel. Here's a list of 10 reasons why they should never have been made...
1. The product doesn't look premium.
2. There is no human insight.
3. There is no customer benefit.
4. There is no call to action.
5. There is no brand purpose.
6. There should be a hashtag so people can join the conversation.
7. There is no reason to believe.
8. It's category generic.
9. Not consistent with the rest of the Chanel brand world.
10. No integrated user journey.
The list could go on.... and yet they are (in my not-humble opinion) as close to perfect as ads can get.
Sadly, I've seen great work die at the hands of every single one of those reasons. Why? Because people are so desperate for advertising to be a formula, they will kill anything that doesn't fit into their narrow view.
The moral of the story, sometimes great advertising doesn't fit into your rules. So fuck your rules.
This article was first published on GOD IS IN THE DETAIL.