User Experience Senior (multiple roles)
****Please note that this advert is not for any Senior UX role in particular. We have a number of opportunities at this level in our User Experience & Design team – across design, architecture, writing, and research. So, if your application is shortlisted, we’ll be in touch with the roles that best suit your experience, as well as the location.****
If you’ve ever seen or heard some BBC content on a digital device, we almost certainly designed it – be it breaking news, football scores, the latest drama on iPlayer, or asking Alexa to play Radio 6music. We also design the ‘behind the scenes’ employee experiences to help make these happen. Our ace team of UX designers, architects, writers and researchers collaborate closely with product, editorial and technical teams right across the BBC to do this.
To learn more about UX&D at the BBC follow this link to our website called GEL (Global Experience Language) and check out some of our videos with the teams:
- Be the voice of the user in project teams, explaining your rationale to developers, editorial staff and product managers.
- Collaborate with other members of User Experience & Design to get to the heart of what our users need: creating sketches, concepts, user journeys, wireframes, and navigational prototypes.
- Engage the wider team and key stakeholders in the user-centered design process, ensuring that user research is at the heart of design decision making.
- Input into recruitment and development of mid-weight and junior staff, including regular catch-ups, professional development, input into appraisals, and manage poor performance where required.
- Work with people across UX&D to make sure we’re making the most of the BBC’s Global Experience Language (GEL).
- Instigate projects, prioritise your own workload, and plan the work of other UX colleagues in your team.
- Guide the work of external agencies and freelancers to learn new things, see new perspectives and collaborate on new ideas.
- Help organise formal user research and proactively try out ideas and designs with people on the street to make sure we’re meeting real user needs.
- Support a positive working environment that considers the needs of a diverse team.
Are you the right candidate?
Our Senior UX roles encompass the fields of Designer, Information Architect, Writer, and Design Researcher. So you might have strengths in interaction design, colour, branding or typography. Or you might have skills in language, crafting voice experiences, or augmented reality. In the UX&D team, we have great data modelers, content strategists, and good old information architects.
Service design is a growth area, and we welcome those with the skills and curiosity to understand the why, what and how of people and make sure that’s communicated effectively. Or maybe you've got something special up your sleeve, like top skills in illustration, motion graphic design or prototype building. Our team's made up of a diverse range of people, skills, and experience, so we'd love to hear about you and yours.
Your portfolio is full of consistently great work across different screens and experiences – be they on mobile, connected TV, tablet, desktop or connected device. Now you're ready to take all that experience and expertise and use it to inspire others. Yes, you can craft delightful designs. But you know improving user experiences isn't just about grafting away at the drawing board. You take a broader view – approaching design conceptually and thinking about the whole experience across multiple screens and touchpoint.
Whether you learned your skills on a design degree or on the job, you're comfortable using them to explain design concepts to anyone, no matter how senior or inexperienced. And you know how to balance what the user needs with what's really achievable. You're enthusiastic, curious and full of ideas. You keep up to speed with the latest design trends and technology developments. And you’re constantly fascinated by what people really need, and how we can create the right experience for them.
Contract type: Perm.
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. There is a section in the application where you can add your flexible working preferences if any, and it will be part of the discussion at the offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivaled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a world-class range of internal and external courses.
- Benefits – We offer a competitive salary package; a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance; 26 days holiday(1 of which is a corporation day),with the option to buy an extra 5 days; a defined pension scheme; and discounted dental, health care and gym.
About the BBC:
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please visit our website.
Closing 27 May 2020
- LADbible Group
Closing 2 June 2020
- Turner Broadcasting
Want more User Experience Senior (multiple roles) jobs?
Want to find more Product Designer jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, Interface (UI) Designer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.