UX Designer (mid-weight)
Since 1869, our colleagues have been delivering great service for our customers. Today, we have more than 200,000 colleagues, serving millions of customers. They work in fast-paced settings. Their time is precious. Because of this, our digital tools must be intuitive and easy to use. It's our duty to help them by designing exceptional experiences.
We serve our colleagues, so they can serve our customers.
Why join us?
We know that great experiences aren't created by accident. That's why we've built a large, diverse and inclusive team. It may be surprising but there are 80 of us. From UX to service designers. Copywriters to researchers and accessibility specialists. Together, we craft exceptional products and services. We make things better, and we're respected across the group for the impact we have.
Did we mention that we're an award-winning team? At the Grocer Gold Awards 2021, we won E-commerce Initiative of the Year. Our work helped elderly, vulnerable and disabled customers through the pandemic. It gave them priority access to home delivery slots. We also won Technology Initiative of the Year.
What we offer:
- A mix of home and office working
- Flexible hours
- Colleague discount at Sainsbury’s, Argos and Habitat
- Bonus scheme
- Holiday allowance
- Pension plan
- Special offers on gyms, restaurants, holidays, vouchers and more
You'll be working within our Colleague and Operations team. We design digital products for over 170,000 colleagues.
In your product team, you'll lead the research, design and testing of new ideas. You'll visit our stores and depots to meet our colleagues. You'll observe and interview them. You'll even work alongside them to experience what they do first-hand.
Your aim will be to understand them, their work and the problems they face. This is challenging because the problems are complex.To make things more challenging, solving a problem could have an affect elsewhere. That's why you'll learn the wider context of how our stores and business works. You'll do this working with people from across the group. They will have different knowledge and perspectives. Some will have strong opinions.
The changes you make will impact one of the UK's largest retailers.
What you'll do:
- Research colleague needs through observation and interviews
- Organise and conduct in-store/depot and remote research
- Interact with stakeholders from across the group to share insights and ideas
- Design and test concepts and solutions
- Collaborate with diverse teams from different disciplines
- Champion inclusive design principles in your work and throughout the team
What we're looking for:
Industry experience as a UX, Product or Service Designer is essential. As are the core technical skills outlined in the role details above. Alongside this, we're looking for certain behaviours and competency skills. These skills will help you thrive in a dynamic team like ours.
Skills we're looking for:
- Knowledge of how to design inclusively
- Expertise designing and prototyping with tools such as Figma
- Capable of conducting research and interpreting results
- Influence and negotiation skills
- Adaptable to changing priorities, complexity and unknowns
- Confidence challenging your peers and stakeholders
- Taking the initiative and driving change
- Tailoring your approach for different audiences
Our interview process is simple. We'll review your CV and portfolio before inviting you to interview. We have 2 interviews. The first is between 45-60 mins; it's a chance for us to learn about each other. The second is around 1 hour 30 minutes. You'll present a project and talk through your process. We'll then ask behaviour and competency questions.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Closing 8 March 2022
- Electronic Arts
Digital Content Designer
Closing 14 March 2022
UX Designer / Consultant
Closing 13 February 2022
- Birmingham (Remote)
- perm, part time, from remote
£35,000 to 42,000 per annum
Want more UX Designer (mid-weight) jobs?
Want to find more Product Designer jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, Interface (UI) Designer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs, Web Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.