UX Design Lead
About the Role:
More than 70% of the time people in the UK spend online looking for cars is spent on Auto Trader, so as a Portfolio/UX Design Lead your design thinking will make a difference to how people shop for cars. We’re on a mission to make buying and selling cars an easy and straight-forward process, helping steer big changes in the way that people use our platforms.
This role will be responsible for leading design across our Discovery & Core Marketplace portfolio of products, and responsible for the quality of design work within that portfolio. You’ll play a central role in how individual initiatives, projects, and features practically come together as coherent experiences, and have overall responsibility for design within your area.
Working day-to-day with senior leaders, designers, developers, user researchers and product managers you will be involved in every aspect of the product development process: from discovery, vision, and strategy through to delivery and in-life continuous improvements.
This role enables you stay hands-on to maintain and grow your excellent technical skills, while also line managing, coaching, and mentoring a small group of designers. Your input will be valued as a critical friend to your design lead peers, helping identify and implement improvements to design & research operations that benefit the whole of Auto Trader.
What we're looking for:
- Significant experience with end-to-end software product design in an in-house B2C environment - including scoping, researching, prototyping and testing across a suite of products or experiences.
- Experience in interaction design work, sketches, storyboards, prototypes, and visual design. If you have a portfolio, we would be interested in seeing examples of this.
- Comfortable working closely with product managers & developers to bring products to life.
- Experience of line managing, mentoring, and developing UX / UI / Product designers
- Experience working with other product, tech, and business leaders to practically influence vision and strategy
- Experience with A/B testing, user testing/research, and using data to define outcomes and measure improvements.
- Appreciation of front-end development technologies
- Strong communication & influencing skills, and the ability to synthesise different perspectives.
Although not a requirement, useful experience includes:
- Line managing designers in a matrix environment (i.e. where you do not manage their work)
- Direct involvement with creating or evolving design systems
Benefits and more:
We're offering a competitive salary and a flexible benefits package to support your health and well-being. You'll have 28 days holiday per year, and that's in addition to bank holidays and half day closures on Christmas and New Year's Eve. Our Aviva pension scheme offers between 5% to 7% employer contributions depending on the percentage you choose to contribute, and we provide Bupa healthcare cover for all of our employees.
Our employee assistance programme enhanced parental leave and share-save options and are just some of the other benefits on offer should you decide to join us.
Career development is something that we're passionate about at Auto Trader, and we all develop and learn things differently. Whether you attend an external conference, utilise a LinkedIn Learning license or choose one of our in-house masterclasses, there's something for everyone.
Our employees are working from home due to the current government restrictions, so if you're invited to take part in an assessment it will take place virtually. We're looking forward to returning to our offices in Manchester and London once it's safe to do so.
Want more UX Design Lead jobs?
Want to find more Design Manager jobs, Product Designer jobs, App Designer jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, Interface (UI) Designer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs, Web Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.