About the Role:
We’re on a mission to make buying and selling cars an easy and straight-forward process. As a UI Designer, you will be key to enabling this for the millions of consumers and thousands of retailers that use our applications and sites each month. Working day-to-day with developers, user researchers and product managers you will be involved in throughout the product development process from discovery through to delivery.
Your role will involve both contributing to product design within cross-functional teams - continuously improving our experiences and building continuity across web and mobile - and offering your UI design expertise to critical parts of our products and our design system.
At times you’ll be:
- Working with creative leads, brand champions, SEO and marketing teams to help tell the Auto Trader story from audience acquisition into our core journeys
- Working with product managers, engineers, and researchers, contributing strongly to the full lifecycle of design. This would include running and participating in design workshops and sprints as well as designing, prototyping and testing ideas with your team and in more formal testing environments.
- Helping shape and develop our design systems, providing a high level of craft to the elements, patterns, and components that underpin our experiences
You’ll also play a key role in Influencing, persuading, and evangelising our design system and user experience design within your product teams and the wider design team.
We are a very data driven company at heart, so while working at pace you’ll have the confidence to make decisions, knowing when to use qualitative or quantitative data and when it’s acceptable to rely on your own knowledge and experience. Our work requires us to be flexible so you’ll be able to switch from high level, big picture thinking to the detail of user stories and UI designs.
Our collaborative approach is key to our successes so as part of the broader design team you’ll be learning from and helping others, identifying and implementing improvements to the way we work. We’d want you to give and welcome feedback and critique from other team members and designers to help encourage personal and professional growth.
What we're looking for:
- Some experience of designing user interfaces for digital product development, including effective use of colour, typography, layout, iconography, and motion.
- Some experience in interaction design work, sketches, storyboards, prototypes, and visual design. We would be interested in seeing examples of these in your portfolio.
- Appreciation of design systems
- Comfortable working closely with developers & QA to bring products to life.
- Good communication & influencing skills, and the ability to synthesise different perspectives.
Although not a requirement, useful experience includes:
- Experience with user testing/research and using data to define outcomes and measure improvements.
- Appreciation of end-to-end UX/product design in a commercial environment - including scoping, researching, prototyping and testing.
- Appreciation of front-end development technologies
- In house/client-side experience
Benefits and more:
We're offering a competitive salary and a flexible benefits package to support your health and well-being. You'll have 28 days holiday per year, and that's in addition to bank holidays and half day closures on Christmas and New Year's Eve. Our Aviva pension scheme offers between 5% to 7% employer contributions depending on the percentage you choose to contribute, and we provide Bupa healthcare cover for all of our employees.
Our employee assistance programme, enhanced parental leave and share-save options and are just some of the other benefits on offer should you decide to join us.
Career development is something that we're passionate about at Auto Trader, and we all develop and learn things differently. Whether you attend an external conference, utilise a LinkedIn Learning license or choose one of our in-house masterclasses, there's something for everyone.
As we move into the next stage of the government's roadmap out of lockdown, our offices are currently open to employees voluntarily. We are looking forward to welcoming everyone back on a more regular basis as restrictions continue to ease.
As most of our colleagues are still working from home at the moment, all assessments are taking place virtually.
Want more UI Designer jobs?
Want to find more Product Designer jobs, App Designer jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, Interface (UI) Designer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs, Web Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.