Temporary Designer - Women's Apparel
URBN is a portfolio of global consumer brands comprised of Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, Free People, BHLDN, Terrain and the Vetri Family. We’re a passionate, creative, entrepreneurial bunch who think outside the box and are all about providing a unique shopping experience while inspiring and connecting with our customers.
*This is for a Temporary Designer position at the Philadelphia, PA Home Office*
Title: Urban Outfitters: Temporary Designer- Women’s Apparel.
To contribute to the overall trend and direction for designs each season for Urban Outfitters product categories. To actively participate in designing seasonal collections. Ensure that designs and resulting product are appropriate for the Urban Outfitters customer.
- Contribute to overall trend and direction for each season, for all designs, labels and specific categories.
- Shop and observe street fashion. Take photos and purchase samples for inspiration.
- Work with Production Team to globally source, find fabrics and yarns that are within budgetary guidelines to develop.
- Collaborate with the Design Manager/Director and Buying team on a weekly basis to review emerging trends to chase in-season.
- Collaborate with the Designers & Design Manager/Director each season to develop conceptual direction for the total product assortment.
- Identify fabrics and yarns that are within budget guidelines (line plan) to develop into product. Collaborate with partners in Production to manage lead-time, minimum order requirements, and costing constraints.
- Design styles, develop or select trims, and identify colors for fabrics selected at the Raw Materials meeting.
- Present development samples and color palette for merchant review at Proto and Finalization Meetings.
- Work with Design Coordinator to create, update and maintain tech packs in PDM. Communicate fit and construction details to Technical Design department. Complete all technical sketches for domestic and overseas programs.
- Manage weekly fittings.
- The ability to recognize and accurately forecast fashion and cultural trends.
- Creative Vision: Have the vision to identify trends in their early stages and understand their impact to fashion, so we can be one step ahead for the aspirational customer. Have the expertise to take aspirational ideas, focusing on the key details and make them work for a broader audience.
- Ability to research and report on industry trend direction, color direction, and fabric innovations approximately 9-12 months ahead of season. Have creative ideas that give Urban a point of difference in the market without being too obscure.
- Ability to articulate ideas clearly and inspire. Effectively use Adobe Illustrator for the CADing of design work and presentations. Excellent communication skills to communicate ideas and inspirations to others and to interact with designers, buyers and other Home Office staff.
- Organizational skills necessary to manage: multiple tasks and projects, and complete them within deadlines. The ability to delegate and direct the daily activities of the assistants and associate designers and provide direction to the team.
- Comprehensive knowledge of apparel construction, including dying, silk screening, washing techniques and other treatments.
- Thorough understanding of manufacturing techniques and processes.
- Personnel skills to motivate, lead, develop and coach people and the recognition that building a team is critical to the Company’s success.
- The ability to develop partnerships with Buyers, Directors and Department heads.
Education: Bachelors Degree in Fashion Design.
- 5-7 years in design.
- Strong understanding of fashion trends and the Urban Outfitters customers.
- Expert-level technical knowledge of apparel construction.
- Expert-level knowledge of fabric and trims as well as strong relationships with resources.
- Extensive knowledge of fabric treatments as well as wash and dye techniques.
- Extensive knowledge of manufacturing techniques and processes.
Location: Philadelphia, PA.
Senior Designer, Digital Innovation
Closing 21 September 2019
Designer II, Snkrs
Closing 21 September 2019
- New York
Want more Temporary Designer - Women's Apparel jobs?
Want to find more Product Designer jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, Interface (UI) Designer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs, Accessories Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.