Sub Editor - Mat Cover
As part of the Editorial team, to sub and write copy across the business for brochure, online, in store and marketing communications for UK and US markets and other territories, as required.
Reports to Head of Editorial
What you'll be doing:
- Be the guardian of The White Company brand tone of voice and ensure all copy complies with it, accurately conveying product information and reasons to buy. Work with the Head of Editorial to enforce and maintain house style across all channels, ensuring consistency and accuracy.
- Assist the Head of Editorial in managing the editorial content workflow across all channels in line with the business’ critical path.
- Fact-check copy for accuracy and tone of voice, proofread copy, cut copy to fit, write copy to fit, as required.
- Be responsible for preparing and editing to US English (including, but not restricted to) the online product copy, brochure copy and marketing copy, as required.
- Attend the weekly creative briefing meetings and provide copy to deadline for the briefs, as required across the business. Sub the rest of the editorial team’s creative briefs and help manage the workflow of the corrections. Ensure Head of Editorial sees the proofs as part of the proofing and sign-off process.
- Develop close working relationships with the wider teams, including the web, production, creative, social, marketing and trade teams; liaise with them to ensure copy is accurate, engaging, on brand, error-free and delivered to deadline.
- Work with the editorial team to help deliver copy for additional requirements, including (but not restricted to) store, site, email, product copy and brochure.
- Curate and maintain the master style guides and their department-specific versions.
- Keep abreast of the competition – in terms of retail, consumer press and online, both internationally and locally – constantly looking for new ideas to make The White Company’s content the best in class, find the best new ways to sell the value of our products and build relationship with our customers.
- Together with the rest of the copy team, be responsible for providing weekly and seasonal copy updates for the website.
- Be responsible for subbing the weekly and seasonal web pages and banners for UK and US, including the Inspire content hub and Inspire weekly features. Manage this sign-off process, maintaining constant communication with the design and web teams to ensure updates are delivered on time.
- Be responsible for “site furniture” copy for checkout, delivery and customer experience pages.
- Be responsible for the provision of copy for customer communication banners and web pages on the site, including responsive communications.
- Work closely with the editorial, creative and marketing teams on the seasonal brochures across the business and their versions (retention and recruitment) for UK and US. Rewrite US brochure content, where needed, to incorporate cultural and linguistic differences and tailor the brochure to suit our US customer, which is often different to the UK approach.
- Sub the brochures and help manage the workflow of corrections, including uploading Editorial amends into the ec2i Renaissance programme and proofing corrections from other teams. Ensure the Head of Editorial sees the brochures as part of the proofing and sign-off process.
- Fact-check, write or source extra copy as required by the artwork team as part of the brochure sign-off process.
- Work with the artwork team to carry corrections across brochure versions and amend copy to suit each version.
The skills & experience that you’ll need:
- Proven experience as a junior copy editor or sub-editor within a competitive retail brand, or consumer or customer title at national level.
- Proven experience of ability to sub copy on brand and for a target reader/customer.
- Proven ability to write to a tight brief/word count/deadline.
- Proven ability to sub copy to a high standard.
- Proven ability to spot and correct copy errors.
- Demonstrate excellent attention to detail.
- Ideally will have some digital experience and commercial nous or be versatile and quick to learn.
- Experience in the conception and pitching of editorial content, and ideally some knowledge of Digital CMS Amplience and Photoshop.
- Highly organised and diligent with a capacity to work on multiple projects at the same time.
What we’ll offer you:
At The White Company, we value our employees for always going the extra mile for every one of our customers; we reward this with great benefits and competitive salaries.
- Discount -Up to 50% discount (dependent on contract type).
- Holiday – 23 days rising to 25 following 2 years of service (1 day per year).
- Holiday Buy – opportunity to buy up to an additional 5 days holiday.
- 10% Bonus Potential - In addition to our competitive salaries, all our permanent employees are entitled to join a discretionary bonus scheme.
- Perkplace Benefits Platform – offering a variety of discounts across wellbeing and lifestyle.
- Wagestream Money Management app - access to Wagestream gives you power over your pay and supports financial wellbeing.
- Continued Development – we offer structured support from our own in house Learning and Development Hub.
- Pension Scheme.
- Life Assurance.
- Fruit basket daily.
- Tea and coffee provided.
- Working from Home - option to work from home on Mondays and Fridays.
- Social - Christmas party/social events throughout the year.
- Seasonal Sample Sales.
- Volunteer Day - with a charity of your choice.
- Great Location - Close to transport links - over ground Shepherds Bush station /underground White City & Wood Lane stations. Westfield shopping centre with shops restaurants/bars/cinema and gym.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Senior Copywriter - Frog
Closing 27 May 2023
Closing 29 May 2023
- Reed Exhibitions
- perm, remote
Closing 23 April 2023
- perm, freelance, temp to perm, remote
£16,000 to 17,000 per annum
Want more Sub Editor - Mat Cover jobs?
Want to find more Digital Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Editor jobs, Journalist jobs, Sub Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Copy Editor jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.