Story Editor, CNN
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
CNN Digital is looking for a best-in-class story editor to join its international team. The role will be based in London, working the late shift (late afternoon and evening hours).
This editor will do a mix of line editing and copy editing. Working with writers they will: elevate and sharpen stories, maintain CNN’s high journalistic standards, and ensure consistency of voice and tone across all digital platforms. The successful candidate will have a meticulous eye for detail and a passion for first-class writing and digital storytelling.
What you’ll be doing:
• Edit daily news and sport stories, analysis pieces and long-form features, often to tight deadlines.
• Craft sharp ledes, headlines, SEO language and other copy used to promote stories both on and off CNN’s platforms
• Actively shape the flow and structure of stories.
• Oversee the story editing workflow in the London bureau across multiple teams during their shift (handling competing priorities in a fast-paced, often pressured, environment). Communicate with editors in other bureaus and time zones.
• Work with individual writers and other contributors to develop their writing capabilities.
• Work with homepage, app, social and SEO teams to improve framing of stories published.
• Bring sensitive stories through a vetting process (standards and legal).
What we’re looking for:
• A passion for producing top-quality journalism.
• Experience editing different types of stories.
• Able to work with writers who have varying levels of experience.
• Strong communication skills to provide candid feedback.
• Ability to jump in and write stories during busy periods.
• Understanding of how to prioritize and triage in a fast-paced environment.
• Perfect grasp of written and spoken English.
• Deep understanding of journalistic standards and media law.
• Strong technical capabilities including working on different content management and news operating systems.
What’s on offer:
This role comes with a competitive salary and a wide range of benefits and perks, including private medical, generous pension contribution and company bonus. You’ll have 28 days holiday and we’ll also give you 40 hours per year for you to use for volunteering or charitable work.
Many of our employees work flexibly in many different ways, including flexible hours or an element of working from home. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need.
Digital News Editor
Closing 12 April 2020
Promo Packaging Editor
Closing 6 June 2020
- Discovery Communications
Want more Story Editor, CNN jobs?
Want to find more Copywriter jobs, Digital Copywriter jobs, Digital Editor jobs, Assistant Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Editor jobs, Feature Writer jobs, Features Editor jobs, Managing Editor jobs, Production Editor jobs, Writer jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Offline Editor jobs, Online Editor jobs, Script Editor jobs, Script Writer jobs, Copy Editor jobs, Managing Editor (Publishing) jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.