Sr. Photo Editor
OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY:
National Geographic Partners LLC (NGP), a joint venture between Disney and the National Geographic Society, is committed to bringing the world premium science, adventure and exploration content across an unrivaled portfolio of media assets. NGP combines the global National Geographic television channels (National Geographic Channel, Nat Geo WILD, Nat Geo MUNDO, Nat Geo PEOPLE) with National Geographic’s media and consumer-oriented assets, including National Geographic magazines; National Geographic studios; related digital and social media platforms; books; maps; children’s media; and ancillary activities that include travel, global experiences and events, archival sales, licensing and e-commerce businesses. Furthering knowledge and understanding of our world has been the core purpose of National Geographic for 131 years, and now we are committed to going deeper, pushing boundaries, going further for our consumers … and reaching millions of people around the world in 172 countries and 43 languages every month as we do it. NGP returns 27 percent of our proceeds to the nonprofit National Geographic Society to fund work in the areas of science, exploration, conservation and education.
The Senior Photo Editor is responsible for the production of our core brand photographic content. This role will manage the complex production of enterprise projects from ideation to publication across platforms, collaborating with editorial and distribution teams to deliver stories that are journalistically sound and visually compelling. He or she will play a role in the development of editorial content, leading the photo direction on assigned vertical, pitching story ideas, and developing contributing photographers. He or she will also be expected to supervise and mentor other photo editors in the department. Five to seven years of experience as a photo editor in the field of journalism is required.
1.Produces the coverage for enterprise photographic projects, both originally produced and/or acquired from outside sources, for digital and print platforms:
- Research and develop story narrative, and establish coverage plan for photographers.
- Collaborate with editors, writers, cartographers, designers, producers, and distribution teams to ensure a cohesive package of elements from conception to publication.
- Create budget and cost projections for project; seek out and acquire funding from NGS and outside organizations.
- Obtains permits and permissions for a variety of locations for photographic shoots.
- Edit and sequence images for interim and final review by Executive Team.
- Collaborate with other divisions of NGP that require use of story assets.
2.Contribute to editorial content: lead photo direction on assigned vertical; generate story ideas; recruit and develop contributing photographers; and mentor assigned NGS grantees.
3.Supervise Photo Editors, Associate Photo Editors, and/or Photo Coordinators on assigned vertical; and recruit photo editors.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Experience with long-form documentary storytelling.
- Extensive knowledge of photography business.
- Great visual taste.
- BA required (in journalism, photography, science, or history a plus); graduate degree preferred.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
Fashion Editorial & Content Associate - Premium Be...
Closing 9 January 2020
Copy Editor/Content Production Specialist
Closing 27 December 2019
- New York
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.