Sr. Graphics Editor, Cartography
OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY:
National Geographic Partners LLC (NGP), a joint venture between Disney and the National Geographic Society, is committed to bringing the world premium science, adventure and exploration content across an unrivaled portfolio of media assets. NGP combines the global National Geographic television channels (National Geographic Channel, Nat Geo WILD, Nat Geo MUNDO, Nat Geo PEOPLE) with National Geographic’s media and consumer-oriented assets, including National Geographic magazines; National Geographic studios; related digital and social media platforms; books; maps; children’s media; and ancillary activities that include travel, global experiences and events, archival sales, licensing and e-commerce businesses. Furthering knowledge and understanding of our world has been the core purpose of National Geographic for 131 years, and now we are committed to going deeper, pushing boundaries, going further for our consumers … and reaching millions of people around the world in 172 countries and 43 languages every month as we do it. NGP returns 27 percent of our proceeds to the nonprofit National Geographic Society to fund work in the areas of science, exploration, conservation and education.
The Senior Graphics Editor, Cartography will play a major role in conceiving, researching, designing and producing maps to illustrate both short and long-form National Geographic articles for digital and print publication. While this is a cartographic role, it is also an editorial position; journalism skills are required. This includes: Exercising independent judgment regarding sources of information and quality of information as well as developing, researching and reporting story ideas and concepts for maps; Collaborating with other editors and the desk reporters in determining mapping directions for stories; Designing final cartographic solutions while coordinating efforts with Research, Editorial, Photo, Design, etc., for on-schedule delivery of maps; Managing projects towards a timely completion and within budget. Candidates should be team oriented, but confident in the value of their own ideas, contribution, and role.
- Develop concepts, research, and design or art-direct maps to illustrate both short and long-form National Geographic articles for on-schedule execution of digital and print publication. Coordinate with story teams and graphic production staff. Provide direction to associate editors and freelancers.
- Develop and innovate cartographic methods and interactive technologies for print and electronic formats. Collaborate with other Graphics Editors, web producers, and the digital staff in the creation of print and interactive content.
- Collaborate and coordinate with other divisions and with the staff of NGS to develop print and digital graphics and maps.
- Stay informed and trained on the latest technologies for interactive map and graphics development, and establish connections in the industry, finding adequate vendors and experts.
- Help the NGM production team through critique, feedback, process optimization, ideation, and creative energy. Mentor others in skill areas as needed to assist with the production of cartography for video and other digital projects.
- A masters degree or greater in cartography, geography, journalism, or 10 or more years professional experience as a cartographer, map designer, web designer/developer, graphics editor, or equivalent, preferably in a journalistic environment.
- Professional experience with interactive mapping and/or graphics. Additional subject matter expertise in the geosciences, humanities or geography.
- Demonstrated knowledge of programming, web design, and front/back end development. Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, After Effects, MapPublisher, Mapbox Studio, ArcGIS Pro, Natural Scene Designer and other GIS and 3D illustration software.
- Strong cartographic design principles as they apply to interactive and animated digital formats.
- Practical experience in the visualization of interactive maps and data graphics, including those linked to databases.
- Strong cartographic skills and proficiency with GIS software and sources of cartographic information.
- Ability to mine large and complex (geospatial) datasets and determine the best approach to illustrate trends, patterns, and predictions.
- Curiosity about topics covered at National Geographic and the ability to grasp new subject matter quickly.
- Superior organization and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks under the pressure of multiple short and long-term deadlines.
- Superior familiarity with research methods, including the use of databases, library resources, the internet, archives, special collections, and other specialized reference materials.
- Superior journalistic storytelling skills and ability to write concisely.
- Strong ability to use color to communicate effectively.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to explain and pitch projects, collaborate efficiently between different teams, and to conduct telephone and face-to-face interviews.
- A strong portfolio of print and digital cartography.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
Editorial & Social Media Internship - Spring 2020
Closing 31 December 2019
- Discovery Communications
Equipment Assistant Editor
Closing 31 December 2019
- Discovery Communications
- New York
Want more Sr. Graphics Editor, Cartography jobs?
Want to find more Deputy Editor jobs, Editor jobs, Features Editor jobs, Managing Editor jobs, Production Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Motion Graphics Editor jobs, Offline Editor jobs, Online Editor jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.