PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
The Creative Services Group (CSG) is an award winning centralised internal creative agency within PlayStation Studios. We endeavour to build a working environment where our people flourish and create their best work. Structured around eight core disciplines; Brand Design, UI/UX, Motion, Video, Film, Sound, Music and Programming, we deliver projects in collaboration with our game development, marketing and PR teams.
We are looking for a Sound Designer to join our award-winning team, to craft high quality audio content for 1st party development projects. As part of our team, you will have the opportunity to work with some of the most quality-driven developers in the industry and on some of the most exciting AAA games for PlayStation.
Reporting to the Audio Director, the Sound Designer will be working full time as a member of our in-house audio team to deliver high quality sound design and implementation for exciting new IP’s and world-renowned game franchises from across PlayStation Studios. The expectations in terms of creative sound design and technical implementation are of a very high standard, with many exciting challenges.
This is a great opportunity to work on high profile titles/franchises and new IP within a friendly and dedicated award-winning audio team.
What you’ll be doing:
Deliver compelling game audio:
- Follow and assist in the creative and technical execution of the audio vision set out by the Audio Director and Audio Lead.
- Design AAA quality audio assets and features - Create, record and edit audio for a variety of sound design areas.
- Implement audio using in-house or industry standard game editors with Wwise - Achieve the highest quality audio.
- Implement sound in Wwise, proactively build and maintain effective and consistent content.
- Test all aspects of the audio to ensure playback is as intended and fit for commercial release.
Within a highly collaborative environment:
- Regularly review your work with the Audio Lead to ensure a strong and consistent audio style.
- Explore new tools and features in collaboration with our audio programmers.
- Attend audio team reviews, play-throughs and game mixing sessions.
- When required, work and collaborate with external audio vendors.
- Proactively build good communication & coordination between audio team members and dev team disciplines (art, animation, programming, level design, design, production).
- Attend meetings with development teams.
- Meet deadlines, collaborate with Audio Producers and Audio leadership to ensure your work is on schedule and meeting expectations.
- Positively contribute at all times. Identify areas requiring innovation / problems and pro-actively find creative and technical audio solutions.
What we are looking for:
Experienced sound designer:
- Demonstrable experience in designing and implementing audio for games, shipped at least 2 high quality titles (if career not all in game industry, equal level of experience on high quality projects).
- Mastery of at least one DAW - Reaper is a plus.
- Proficient in Wwise or similar audio middleware - Proven experience on a least one shipped title.
- Strong, demonstrable sound design and editing skills - Proven in demo reel.
- Ability to design audio for a range of styles - from realistic to Hollywood.
- Ability to learn a new in-house game editor for integrating audio content.
- Extensive knowledge of the production process of a game or equivalent media in all aspects.
- Solid knowledge of PC environment.
Reliable team player:
- In-house game development experience, ability to work as a team player.
- Ability to provide and accept critical feedback in a professional manner.
- Self-disciplined, able to meet deadlines and to report progress to producers.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, autonomy, and ownership of your allocated design areas.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written).
- Pro-active and highly organized.
- Able to maintain high standards even under pressure.
- A passion for sound and music in games and other forms of audio-visual entertainment.
- A keen interest in video games.
- Experience designing 3D audio for VR (AR / MR also relevant) - This position is not specifically for VR titles, but there is a chance to be involved in VR development.
- Advanced knowledge of Reaper DAW.
- Discretionary bonus opportunity.
- Private Medical Insurance.
- Dental Scheme.
- London Allowance (if applicable).
- 25 days holiday per year.
- On Site Gym.
- Subsidised Café.
- Free soft drinks.
- On site bar.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Closing 24 August 2021
- Electronic Arts
Technical Sound Designer
Closing 21 July 2021
Lead Sound Designer
Closing 10 August 2021
Want more Sound Designer jobs?
Want to find more Audio Designer jobs, Audio Manager jobs, Sound Designer jobs, Sound Editor jobs, Sound Recordist jobs, Sound Supervisor jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.