Software Development Engineer - Giff Gaff
Who Are We?
giffgaff is a little different to your ‘normal’ telecoms company. It`s a mobile business owned by Telefonica, but run by its customers - our members. Sounds interesting? It is.
We want people to love what they do and love what giffgaff is all about. It`s important to feel that way, especially in this energetic and competitive market. We’re a spirited and disruptive bunch at giffgaff, not every now and then, but everyday, yes, even on Monday mornings. Each and every person, who comes and works at giffgaff, must believe that we are a David amongst Goliaths in Mobile-land. And much like David, we are successfully making a positive change.
Software engineering is at the heart of what we do here at giffgaff - our agile engineering teams build and support a set of various applications and services that combined create our unique user experience on the giffgaff website, enable our internal teams to work in the most productive and efficient ways and enable a whole range of awesome features via modern APIs.
The quality and maintainability of our software is very important for us, we are looking for engineers with real world experience, especially in terms of the whole development lifecycle. You will help us design and implement tightly focussed APIs, services and user interfaces and, together with your team, you will support them in production. We want you to share your opinions on how we are doing things - and help us get better!
As a Software Development Engineer, you’ll be embedded into one of our cross-functional product teams to work on a wide variety of creative technical solutions. Depending on the team profile you may be working on user facing applications, internal tools or processes, or APIs and services implementing our core business logic.
We are looking for agile software engineers with passion and energy, a strong desire to learn and improve and a commitment to testing and excellence. You’ll have to make tough decisions, implement best practice and provide compromises when situations are not ideal. Oh and you’ll need to explain that to people. Not just the technical ones. Because we work in product teams where not everyone is a tech guy. It’s fun, you get closer to the business and know more about why we do what we do, not just how.
Our core technologies are React & Java, but (because we’re a bit old-skool) we prefer our engineers to be full-stack devs. Coding is coding and the main difference is syntax - right? So were looking for passionate programmers who are comfortable with using a variety of frameworks, languages & tools and who are happy to pick up new skills when the need arises. We know that you’ll have a go-to language where you can spin up & deploy new applications in a few minutes and where your expertise shines through, but don’t be shy about picking up a new skills and knocking out some killer code that makes our members happy...
- React, React Native or Java 8+
- Familiarity with Git
- Extreme Programming / Kaban & Scrum
Our Tech Stack
- On the Server-Side: Java 8 with AspectJ & Maven, Spring Framework including AOP, Boot, Cloud, JDBC, MVC, Security. Relational databases such as PostgreSQL, Oracle & Amazon RDS. Message brokers including ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ or Amazon SNS/SQS. PHP with Zend.
- Continuous Integration with Jenkins, Test-Driven Development with Chai, JUnit, Karma, Mocha, & Sinon, Behaviour-Driven Development with Cucumber / Protractor, Agile Software Development and practical experience of Extreme Programming, Kanban & Scrum
- Candidates with any of the following skills will be strongly preferred: Amazon Web Services, Docker, Kubernetes, Hazelcast, Hystrix, OpenShift, Redis, Zuul
The Nuts & Bolts
- Love delivering a wow to our members
- Ability to communicate clearly at all levels of our organisation
- Curiosity & Creativity
- Excellent attention to detail
- Have an interest in technology, mobile and wider popular culture trends
- Able to work under pressure and manage workloads effectively
- Organised, self motivated and accountable for own workload
- A strong team player
- Fun to be with and work with
This is a chance to work for one of the most sought after UK companies, highly regarded for its community model. In return for your outstanding efforts, you’ll be rewarded with a competitive salary and excellent benefits. We believe that hard work should be supported and recognised. This position plays an important role across the business, allowing you to work cross functionality, take on more responsibility and gain experience, which will greatly benefit you in the future.
Senior Graphic Designer with Awesome Creative Agency
Closing 7 September 2018
- mcm creative group
- £40,000 to 45,000 p/a
Closing 11 September 2018
- Become Recruitment UK
- £35,000 to 45,000 p/a
Want more Software Development Engineer - Giff Gaff jobs?
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.