Set / Environment Designer
About The Role:
We are on the lookout for a talented and experienced Set/Environment Designer who will be producing designs for sets based on the style of the production, working from rough concept to final approved designs under the Art Directors supervision.They will research and explore based on relevant references, and work within the boundaries of a given brief. They are always striving to improve their skills and are happy to support other members of the team.
Day to Day:
- Researching and providing exploratory sketches for interior and exterior sets based on the approved brief.
- Produce detailed drawings at correct scale, detailing any prop specifications within the set.
- Collaborate/communicate with the Art and Modelling Departments.
- Working as part of a team to interpret assigned concepts and supporting other members of your team when required.
- Managing your assets and time efficiently to meet deadlines.
- Responding positively to notes and feedback.
- Strong aesthetic judgement with strong skills in drawing, painting and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of 3D animation workflow.
- Adaptable to different styles of show.
- A portfolio that demonstrates a variety of set and environment design options that fit into a story/world.
- Be able to present work in a clear and concise manner that demonstrates thought process and purpose.
- Strong knowledge of tools and software such as Cintiq, Photoshop, or other applicable design software.
- Creative flair.
- Good understanding of colours, lighting and value structure.
- Strong understanding of volumes, turnarounds and spatial planning.
- Able to visually develop and design sets and environments for 3D production through sophisticated exploratory designs.
- Being a team player and great collaborator.
- Creative problem solving.
- Able to give and receive design related feedback.
- Excellent time management skills in meeting design deadlines from concept to final deliverables.
- A degree or equivalent and a minimum of 2 years industry experience in a similar role.
- Understanding of 3D design and modelling workflow.
- Good skills in graphic design and stylized textures is a plus.
- A passion for cinematography or video games.
- Passion for storytelling.
Blue Zoo is a leading animation studio in the UK, with a world-class reputation as the go-to place for creating bold, fun and characterful animation. Established in London in 2000, the studio has grown to become the largest dedicated CG animation studio in the UK, picking up a shelf full of BAFTAs along the way.
The studio is going through an exciting period of growth and we are building a studio that is full of amazingly talented, happy artists, making work they are proud of, which in turn makes a small contribution to a happier world.
We look for people who have expertise, enthusiasm and are motivated by change. You’ll work alongside a talented and diverse group of people who respect each other's differences and seek to understand fresh perspectives.
What we’ve got for you (Benefits):
- Winner of Best Places to Work in TV 2019 and 2020!
- Free breakfast, fruit and hot drinks.
- Inclusive self-funded short-films programme.
- Many fun social events throughout year.
- Bi-monthly reactive feedback programme.
- Friday "beer o'clock" drinks (and soft drinks) inside work hours!
- Comprehensive benefits package, including retail and gym discounts.
- On-site massages.
- Profit participation (for staff who have been in our studio for 2+ years).
Blue Zoo is committed to creating and nurturing an inclusive studio that promotes and values diversity and invites everyone to ‘bring their whole selves’ to work. We believe that companies that truly embrace and value diversity, and create an environment where everyone from any background can do their best work, are better companies.
To be engaged our people have to feel included and valued. We work hard to build and nurture a culture where inclusiveness is embedded in the way we work, not just an initiative. We strive to engender a studio community that feels a deep sense of pride and commitment that transcends any role, department or level and works together to produce excellent and engaging work.
Designer, Women’s Leather RTW
Closing 24 November 2020
- Alexander McQueen
Technical Artist - Virtual Production
Closing 23 November 2020
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.