The Initiative is a new first-party game studio located in Santa Monica backed by Microsoft. Our studio is about craft, creating story, innovating, and looking ahead to the next big thing.
At the Initiative, we are looking for collaborative problem solvers who want to dive into something new and create groundbreaking experiences for our players. We are passionate about craft, creating stories, and building the next big thing in gaming and we are looking for an exceptional writer to come join our growing team.
Join us for this once in a career opportunity to help build the studio, define our culture, and create an environment to attract world-class talent.
The ideal candidate is an experienced storyteller and will know how to build high quality content in a collaborative and fast paced environment. As a leader in the writing room you will be expected to be a thought-leader that can help grow our game world, create key storylines and characters that players will love, and deliver tight and compelling dialogue. You are versatile, have strong development and production-sense, and the expertise to inspire and mentor others to do their best work.
As an experienced Senior Writer, you will work with onsite and offsite Designers and Writers, plus key stakeholders across disciplines, to deliver the following:
- Pitch and develop ideas for characters, story arcs, and world building.
- Coordinate with narrative leads and other writers to build out schedules and deliver on milestones.
- Research and document ideas to work into the game.
- Write compelling dialogue for characters in the game.
- Work cross-discipline with other internal teams to deliver in-game story beats.
- 7+ years as a writer in a professional capacity including multiple published works or shipped games
- Knowledge of modern games and narrative systems in games.
- Demonstrated experience taking and synthesizing feedback, and then turning out revisions promptly.
- Experience in a Writer’s Room environment a plus.
- Knowledge of game design.
Applicants must provide at least one sample of their work for evaluation and are expected to work on site in Santa Monica, CA.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
User Experience (UX) Writer, Rides
Closing 28 December 2019
Creative Director/Copywriter, AR/VR Marketing
Closing 2 January 2020
- Menlo Park
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.