Senior VFX Artist
Rare is a one-of-a-kind game studio where we create the kind of games the world doesn't have, games that are uniquely Rare! Working here offers opportunities unlike anywhere else. You'll be providing players with unforgettable shared experiences in games loved by millions worldwide. Our pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, launched in 2018, is still going strong – and alongside that we're busy creating our next magical world, Everwild, announced in 2019 to a global audience.
We strive to make Rare an amazing place to work, embracing a culture of respect and building a supportive environment for our developers. Our custom-built Twycross studio is situated in the beautiful English countryside, surrounded by woodland and wildlife, with plenty of room for us to grow. Studio benefits are catered to making life easier for staff, including flexible working, a bonus scheme, an industry-leading pension package, private healthcare, mental health initiatives and free events for employees and their families.
By joining Rare, you'll be joining one of the finest studios in the industry with support from the wider Xbox Game Studios network. We're always on the lookout for exceptional people who can bring their expertise and unique thinking to help make our team even stronger!
We are looking for an experienced Senior VFX Artist to join our growing Technical Art and VFX team at Rare. We want to hear from people who have a passion for dynamic visuals, a thirst for innovation and a drive for making the best games possible. You will be part of a team whose key responsibility is to push for the most striking game visuals possible. Working closely with the Art teams, Engineering disciplines and Design teams, you will help define the visual effects from both the perspective of art and technology, driving innovation in our VFX tech. If you have the skills and passion we are looking for and, most importantly, want to be part of something special, we want to hear from you.
- Working with the Art Teams and the Leads to deliver the game to the artistic vision.
- Taking visual elements from concept to game implementation.
- Identifying and creating tools and techniques to aid in creation of effects.
- Support the Art, Engineering and Design teams, helping to resolve technical difficulties.
- Proactively identify new technologies and techniques that will improve the game vfx.
- When required, create concise documentation of tech and processes for the wider team.
- Keep content within memory budget and performance guidelines.
Required Experience & Qualifications:
- A professional portfolio.
- Degree in Computer Science/Similar related subject or equivalent development experience.
- At least one full project cycle in Technical Art or VFX position.
- More than 4 years’ game development experience. Having experience working on a Console is a must.
- Good knowledge of 3D graphics.
- Up-to-date experience and knowledge of current game development practices and terminology.
- Excellent artistic ability.
- Excellent eye for quality control and detail.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, with the ability to existing knowledge to rapidly improvise solutions.
- A broad technical understanding with the capacity to learn and utilize new skills quickly.
- Experienced in dealing with the idiosyncrasies of team project work.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proactive and organized individual.
- Ability to take direction and constructive feedback.
- Self- motivated and passionate about your work.
- Experience with Houdini.
- Experience with Unreal Engine and Niagara.
- Knowledge of programming languages such HLSL/Python/C#/C++/ is a plus.
Benefits and Perks:
- Industry leading healthcare.
- Savings and investments.
- Giving programs.
- Educational resources.
- Maternity and paternity leave.
- Opportunities to network and connect.
- Discounts on products and services.
- Generous time away.
Want more Senior VFX Artist jobs?
Want to find more 2D Artist jobs, 3D Artist jobs, Artist jobs, Digital Artist jobs, Gaming Artist jobs, Animation Artist jobs, VFX Artist jobs, Special Effects Artist jobs, Visual Effects (VFX) Supervisor jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.