Senior UX-UI Designer
DC Thomson is currently undertaking our largest Transformation programme in our history. In order to maintain our position in the Media/Publishing industry we have identified, alongside our customer community requirements, the need to offer a digital portfolio to complement our traditional business model. We are drawing together specialisms from across our businesses and creating centres of excellence to provide the continued best value to our customers both externally and internally, through new and exciting digital products and channels.
In this role you will take responsibility for the UX/UI of Beano Studio’s digital products. With a focus on Beano.com and Beano Brain, you will optimise these products to delight our users and drive growth.
You will be central to ambitious plans to design products & experiences that capitalise on the huge Beano.com audience, with a focus on creating new features that will delight our fans and support the commercial goals of Beano Studios.
Be a member of our company wide UX & Product Design practise, sharing insights and methods across the company and contributing to the ongoing improvement and establishing of new, innovative ways of working to ensure we have a UX and Product design practise to be proud of.
About Beano & DC Thomson:
Beano Studios is a rebellious multi-media publishing, entertainment and creative business powered by data and insight. The Studio produces diverse content across TV and the award-winning Beano.com – as well as theatrical, live experiences, licensed products and the legendary Beano comic and annual. International Emmy nominated Dennis & Gnasher: Unleashed! has been sold to 90+ countries, including to the BBC and Netflix, reaching over 200 million people.
Everything at Beano Studios is powered by the Beano Brain, its insight consultancy which understands the tastes, demands and growing purchase power of kids, teens and millennial parents. It uses its unparalleled knowledge, born from decades of experience, to help companies build their own connections with families.
We thrive off creating amazing stuff that kids will love to watch, read, play, make and share with their friends. We don’t limit ourselves to what that is. As long as it’s epic, awesome, hilarious and SO BEANO, we’re up for it. But we can’t do it alone.
First up is Beano.com, entertaining a massive audience of kids on their own terms without annoying parents (too much!) via a daily dose of quizzes, jokes and games.
To feed all this creativity we’ve set up a suite of data and insight tools collectively called the Beano Brain, which informs our daily output. We are now working to productise Beano Brain and give commercial partners access to the tools and techniques that have powered the massive success of Beano.com.
What you’ll be doing:
- Act as the owner of design and UX/UI across Beano Studio’s digital products.
- Be the voice of the audience, championing user centred design across the business, working closely with key Beano stakeholders.
- Work closely with the Head of Design & UX at DC Thomson to ensure best practice is adopted and wider DCT Group synergies are potentially accessed, and knowledge is shared.
- Review and optimise the UX/UI of our digital products, including our B2C product – Beano.com and B2B data & insight product Beano Brain.
- Create new user-flows, customer experience maps, wireframes, and prototypes for Beano.com and Beano Brain.
- Capture requirements & insights from stakeholders and translate into new features and optimisations.
- Direct internal & external colleagues & partners contributing to the development of Beano.com and Beano Brain.
- Work closely with the CEO and Head of Commercial & Strategy at Beano Studios on new products, NPD and business cases from a design UX/UI perspective as they are formed for sign off.
What we are looking for:
- Strong UX and visual design skills with experience of creating rich and engaging UIs.
- Having developed or used modular design systems.
- Capable of guiding an agile product team (with external and internal members) through the full digital design process.
- Experience of design for digital media, subscription products or data and insight services would be a bonus.
- Experience of design for kids & families would be a huge advantage!
- Proactive and highly organised, with strong time management and planning skills.
Things we use everyday:
- Design and Prototyping Tools – Figma, Miro, Adobe, Shorthand.
- Collaboration Tools – Jira.
- We are always looking to learn new ways of working to improving what we do… so welcome new ideas and thinking.
This role will report to the CEO, Beano Studios and DCT Head of Design and UX, DC Thomson.
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 37.5 hours per week from our London, Fleet Street Office. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, health cash plan, onsite staff gym, excellent pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
Beano Studios welcomes applications from everyone who make up our diverse society to make sure we are best placed to create the amazing stuff kids love to watch, read, play, make and share with their friends.
If you have any issues with your application, please email us.
Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy early once we have received suitable applications. Therefore, please ensure you submit your application as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Closing 21 December 2021
- Virgin Media
Head Of Product Design
Closing 19 December 2021
- Paddy Power
- Hammersmith, Leeds
Senior Digital Designer
Closing 20 December 2021
- Superb Media
- £40,000 to 50,000 per annum
Want more Senior UX-UI Designer jobs?
Want to find more Product Designer jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, Interface (UI) Designer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.