Senior UX Designer
Our mission is to revolutionise how research is done in science, technology and medicine. Our productivity and collaboration tools are well-loved and used by over 11 million scientists and researchers around the world.
Our website, desktop and mobile apps allow researchers to search for, organise, read and take notes on academic papers; monitor the latest publications; and connect and collaborate with other researchers.
As well as improving our existing products, we are working on new products that use the wealth of data and analytics that Elsevier – our parent company – has available. With a revenue of £2.5 billion in 2018, Elsevier is a world-leading information analytics company that provides scientific, technical, and medical insights.
Design at Mendeley:
You will be an integral part of the design team at Elsevier (70+ designers). We sit amongst and work closely with product managers, developers, and QAs in a fast-paced Agile environment. We champion the best UCD and product development practices. We run design critiques for our whole team twice a week. All of our work is firmly grounded in user research that uses a variety of methods such as field observations, surveys, weekly user sessions, and experiments.
We hope you can help us scale and improve our practices even further.
What’s in it for you:
- Help advance science, solve real-world problems, and work with inspirational users.
- Work in a complex problem space to design effective tools for researchers.
- Be part of a supportive team with an innovative design culture.
- Work on strategically important design-led initiatives.
- Grow as a designer through coaching, training, and an established UX career development programme.
As a Senior UX/UI Designer, you will join a cross-functional team and work together with a Lead Designer to own design for a product or family of products. You will also lead initiatives to improve our overall design processes and mentor junior designers.
What you’ll be doing:
- Work closely with product managers and developers to define the roadmap and backlog.
- Plan, conduct, and document user sessions, surveys, and experiments. Develop a deep understanding of user needs. Share insights with your team. Build empathy for users across the organisation.
- Run workshops to discover and refine effective solutions.
- Ideate and prototype quickly to understand the viability of ideas and support product strategy.
- Produce compelling solutions and work alongside developers and QAs to ship your designs into production.
- Collaborate with designers on different products across Elsevier to align experiences.
- Proactively improve how the Mendeley design team works.
- Mentor and support other designers as needed.
What we’re looking for:
- You have a strong portfolio showing experience designing shipped products and services (not just websites) that meet user needs, product requirements, and business goals.
- You have hands-on experience planning, conducting and analysing user research and usability testing.
- You have great attention to detail and can produce high-fidelity designs and prototypes using tools such as Sketch and InVision.
- You can build on the work of other designers, using an existing pattern library and contributing to it.
- You know how design fits in an Agile environment and can work closely with product managers, developers, and QAs.
- You are an excellent communicator who can present and explain the rationale behind designs to a wide range of stakeholders.
- You are motivated, proactive, flexible, pragmatic, and good at time management and prioritisation. You want to make things better. You find solutions to problems. You understand how to produce real-world designs given time and technical constraints.
- (Nice to have) Experience working in-house in a large organisation.
- (Nice to have) Experience working with academics or researchers.
- (Nice to have) Excellent UX copy-writing skills.
- Competitive salary.
- 25 days holiday + 8 standard Bank Holidays.
- Great equipment and setup.
- Cool office with Italian cafe, indoor bike storage, squash and basketball courts, and showers.
- Well-stocked kitchen.
- Monthly team events and Friday Beer O’clock.
- Conference attendance and training.
- Central London location close to Moorgate and Liverpool Street.
- Season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme.
- Childcare vouchers.
- £2k employee referral fee.
Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact us.
Creative Director - Product Design
Closing 21 March 2021
Assistant Designer - Women's Footwear
Closing 29 January 2021
- Marks & Spencer
- £Competitive plus benefits
Want more Senior UX Designer jobs?
Want to find more Product Designer jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, Interface (UI) Designer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs, Web Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.