Senior UX Designer
CCleaner is the world’s most popular optimization tool, with over 2.5 billion downloads across 195 countries. Available on PC, Mac and Android, we’re on a mission to make devices run faster and last longer, while protecting our users’ privacy and security.
CCleaner is one of several smaller businesses acquired by Avast Software (www.avast.com), maker of the world's most popular antivirus which protects over 400 million computers and mobile devices. Based in the central London office, our team manages the CCleaner suite of products (CCleaner, Defraggler, Speccy and Recuva) as an autonomous business unit, with the benefit of being able to tap into Avast’s large pool of experience and resources.
Our company’s strategic and aspirational goal is for
‘CCleaner to be the number one and most loved utility for a problem-free digital life’.
In order to achieve this we are aiming to grow our sales of our professional versions and free user base significantly over the coming few years and to launch a suite of new CCleaner branded products to our large user base. We aim to elevate the brand and strong reputation beyond the tech community and further into the mainstream consumer arena. We are also embarking on discovering how we shape our value proposition to keep us relevant for now and the future.
Purpose of the role
We’re looking for an experienced, senior level UX Designer to join the User Experience & Design team to drive the UX capability at CCleaner @ Avast. The ideal candidate would be proactive, constantly seeking to contribute and improve the company’s products with design thinking but would also have the experience and skill to know where to prioritise, focus their efforts to bring the most value and generally get things done.
Together with the rest of the designers, the ambition is to create a high performance UXD team that leads the business towards creating products that are customer-focused. The role will also be key to addressing the future of the business and the direction of its products.
- Conduct hands-on UX Design work to create insight driven, user-focused designs for existing and new products.
- Engage with customers, conduct research, workshops, usability tests and other UX activities.
- Build prototypes and produce the required UX documentation to support the Design process (e.g. user journeys, wireflows, site maps, specifications, guidelines and reports).
- Present UX Design work to showcase projects and where necessary, to persuade, for example, with a compelling story that articulates insights found and how they’ve informed the design solutions.
- Contribute to establishing core UX processes, principles, best practices and frameworks incorporating high levels of communication within the UXD team and the wider company.
- Balance user needs, technical requirements and business goals.
- Liaise and align with other departments (Product, Development, BI, QA, Customer Support, Marketing) to integrate the benefits of UX and support work streams that maximise the effectiveness of the company's collective efforts.
- Improve and optimise user flows from the website through to desktop PC and Mac apps.
- Champion User Centred Design (and how we are not the user) but bring maturity and understanding of the commercial realities to the role.
- Promote cross-functional and collaborative work practices.
- Contribute to the team adoption of a highly agile approach to all UXD initiatives.
- Structure and drive self-development to improve knowledge and ability relevant to the role and the skills required in the UXD team.
- Responsible use of research and data.
- Contribute to the forthcoming Design System, ensuring that design output is scalable and supportive of all products and services.
- Inspire, motivate and help to mentor more junior members of the team.
- Contribute to the company culture.
- Occasional travel to the Avast Head Office in Prague and foster relationships with the design team based there.
- At least 5 years solid track record of UX Design experience.
- Relevant Degree (or comparable experience).
- Outstanding and creative portfolio (website, pdf etc) showcasing user-focused decision making, versatility and a variety of real world problem solving, application of UX techniques throughout all stages of the design process and outcomes.
- Extensive evidence and experience of creating low and hi-fidelity wireframes, flows and relevant UX documentation.
- Comprehensive knowledge of UX methodologies, best practices, techniques and tools.
- Empathetic collaborator that encourages working with others when relevant to create better solutions.
- Positive, open (e.g. to other ideas) and genuine about working as part of a team and helping others.
- Good sense of ownership, pride and responsibility but comfortable with relinquishing ownership of work.
- Organised self-starter, driven to own and achieve their OKRs and manage their own time, focusing on the essentials but able to handle multiple projects and initiatives.
- Detail oriented but also pragmatic, focusing on validating hypotheses and learning quickly and cheaply.
- Good analytical skills, being able to draw insights from research and data.
- Articulate and open communication style, comfortable writing and speaking (in English) to other designers, colleagues in other disciplines and senior stakeholders and knowing when sometimes a chat will be more effective than a formal meeting or a long email.
- Curious about user behaviour, passionate about UX and driven to using UX to do the right thing.
- Working knowledge of UX Research and Accessibility.
- Experience working on desktop apps.
- Knowledge of design frameworks such as the Double Diamond and UX frameworks such as Google HEART.
- Experience of Google Ventures 5 day design sprints, Jobs to be Done, Lean UX design methodologies and other collaborative and hypothesis driven design processes.
- Experience working in both B2C and B2B businesses.
- Pool, Xbox, Table-Tennis skills.
- Dog lover.
- A good sense of humour.
CCleaner @ Avast is a great place to work, where the staff look forward to coming to the office and working with their colleagues. Everyone is respectful and also very social. Our consumer products are seen and used by millions of users and are within the optimisation, privacy and security software space - areas which seem to be of increasing importance to customers and the digital world in general.
The company and the UXD team are focused on creating a high performance, outcome-based culture that respects the work-life balance and discourages over-working. The focus is on the essentials and not to look busy for the sake of it. There is scope for self-development (with half a day per week for training and also a team training budget) and personal growth and support to achieve your career goals.
There is emphasis on collaboration and culture which on the surface manifests as highly social and engaged staff, but which also results in teamwork and achieved outcomes underpinned by trust amongst colleagues.
We offer a modern, team-centric environment that encourages good communication and collaborative decision-making around clear and focused strategic goals, and a culture of safety where it is okay to experiment, to sometimes fail, and to challenge ideas from others. Our goal is to create autonomous, self-organising teams that collaborate their way to success.
Our team is a diverse, vibrant and eclectic mix of technology geeks, foodies, cyclists, gamers, musicians and hatmakers (!) and we are all passionate about the work that we do. We take turns to DJ on the company Sonos, lunch together and organise social events like games nights, cheese and wine nights and table tennis competitions.
The role will initially be remote during the current lockdown but will then be based in our Holborn offices. We have a relaxed approach to working hours and occasional working from home, agreed in advance with your manager.
Freshly ground coffee on demand, pool table, table tennis table, fully-stocked nerf gun arsenal, weekly breakfast and company lunch, Nintendo Switch/Xbox and regular company social events.
Competitive salary and bonus package, 25 days holiday, private healthcare plan, life assurance, bike-to-work scheme, professional training, snacks cupboard and fruit bowls. Choice of hardware including laptop and phone.
Avast does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or recruiting agencies in response to job postings. No fee will be paid to third parties who submit unsolicited candidates directly to our hiring managers or HR team, even in a situation when the relevant candidate is employed by Avast.
UI / Visual Designer
Closing 26 July 2020
Menswear Graphic Designer
Closing 1 August 2020
Want more Senior UX Designer jobs?
Want to find more Product Designer jobs, App Designer jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, Interface (UI) Designer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs, Web Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.