Senior UX Designer - Ecommerce
About Ocado Technology:
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture.
What does the team do?
We are Product Discovery, a department within the Ecommerce stream. We assist shoppers in filling their basket with life’s essentials, inspiring them to try something new, and empowering our partners to grow their revenue profitably along the way. Making up the beginning of the shopping journey, we work together with the other Ecommerce departments to create a holistic, customer centric experience.
What would I be doing?
- Leading UX design projects focussing on problem solving and creating a great customer experience.
- Partnering with Product Managers and Engineers to develop concepts that are valuable, viable and usable
- Collaborating with designers in other departments to ensure we maintain a cohesive customer journey
- Understanding customer needs in international markets around the world and help build a product that caters to those needs
- Contributing to the creation of customer journey flows and empathy maps to help visualise different actors' scenarios and flows for broader team and stakeholders
- Facilitating design sprint workshops with UX, Product and Engineering teams to accelerate UX designs, turn agreed ideas into prototypes and ultimately build better solutions
- Creating consistent compelling, delightful inclusive designs that are localisable, accessible and user friendly using best practice collaborative design techniques (eg. versioning)
- Contributing to the design system and using typography and intuitive visual hierarchies to help the user understand a UI making designs consistent and coherent.
- Using data & research to influence, lead & explain the reasoning behind visual design & validates that designs are developed in line with the design spec.
For this UX Designer role, we are looking for someone who is…
- A critical thinker and are comfortable with questioning decisions and delving deeper into the problem space
- Comfortable with processing and visualising data to help create insight, solve problems and inform recommendations
- Logical and takes a structured approach even when there is ambiguity
- Strong in written and verbal communication skills with a good emphasis on careful listening
- Doesn't settle for good enough, strive for greatness in every aspect of your work
- Bias for action, collaboration and optimism so that people will always want to have you in their teams
We would love to hear from you if you have...
- Relevant industry experience or technology business
- Knowledge of working with mixed teams / functional areas, including product management, engineering, UX/UI
- Proven ability to plan, mange, track and deliver on commitments
- Intellectual rigour, possesses relevant abilities & is able to pick up new skills quickly
- Ability to work in a team effectively and / or work autonomously
- Ability prioritise in a fast-paced environment
- Exposure to working with design and technology teams
- Capturing business needs and user requirements to support product realisation
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.
Want more Senior UX Designer - Ecommerce jobs?
Want to find more Product Designer jobs, App Designer jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, Interface (UI) Designer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.