Senior UI Designer - Apps
About the role:
Tesco are looking for an experienced app UI designer to help the millions of customers using our UK shopping apps.
We’ve just rebuilt our Groceries app from scratch and its release has been spectacularly successful. On this strong platform we are ready to tackle new customer problems and further improve the usability and accessibility of the app.
About the team:
We are a user experience design team who create relevant, inclusive products to improve our customers’ lives and achieve business goals.
The team supports all of Tesco’s customers and store colleagues, whether it’s designing the next generation of self-service tills, optimising store processes, or supporting our drive to offer customers a truly omni-channel experience.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; Passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return your work will make a tangible impact on millions of customers, and we offer an amazingly talented team, great work/life balance, and significant learning and career development opportunities.
We’re looking for a someone to help us:
- Solve actual customer problems – take customer insights and leverage the design system to create inclusive and intuitive solutions used by millions of customers.
- Know when to innovate – our design system needs to evolve with our customers behaviour and as the design patterns of iOS and Android mature.
- Democratise the design system – you’ll define how other designers can contribute without sacrificing the consistency of experience.
- Bridge the gap between design and code – work with engineering to ever closer align the sketch design library with the codebase.
- Bring your colleagues with you – as an expert in app UI design we want you to share your skills and knowledge to make the team stronger.
You will be responsible for:
- Collaborate with our multidisciplinary team to define and implement innovative solutions for service and product visuals and experience.
- Execute all visual design stages from concept to final handoff.
- Conceptualise original ideas that bring simplicity and user friendliness to complex design solutions.
- Demonstrate deep knowledge of customer needs and use this knowledge to inform and support product development.
- Present and support your designs and key milestone deliverables to peers and senior level stakeholders.
- Produce design executions that¯use inclusive design principles and comply with W3C accessibility guideline.
- Understand and apply the trade-offs between usability, creativity and performance.
- Work with the app engineering teams to understand the technical requirements to deliver best customer experience.
- Documentation of new design rules, patterns, systems, style guides and interaction guides. To enable other teams to move more quickly with confidence. Set an example for quality and effectiveness of solutions and challenge other team members to maintain a similar high bar.
You will need:
- Exceptional UI design skills (including interaction design) demonstrated with a strong portfolio.
- At least 3 years experience in native app design for iOS and Android.
- Mastery of Sketch, including creating complex design libraries.
- Ability to present your designs and articulate your rationale to colleagues and stakeholders.
- Experience using Zeplin to collaborate with engineers.
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process.
- Ability to solve problems creatively and effectively.
- Understanding of user-centred design principles.
In the UK, Tesco serves some 66 shoppers every second, so it's our goal to ensure every one of those customers experiences just a little better service on each visit.
Our business was built with a simple mission – to be the champion for customers, helping them to enjoy a better quality of life and an easier way of living. This hasn't changed. Customers want great products at great value which they can buy easily and it's our job to deliver this in the right way for them.
That's why 'Servingâ€¯shoppers a little better every day' is our core purpose. As a business, serving customers is at the heart of everything we do – whether it’s in–store or online.
What’s in it for you:
- An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary.
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco.
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day.
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate.
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay.
- Buy As You Earn Scheme which allows you to buy Tesco shares and save tax after 3 months of service.
- Save As You Earn Scheme which gives you the opportunity to save direct from your pay for three or five years with the option of using your savings to buy Tesco shares at a discounted price after 1 year of service.
- Access to Tesco Learning and Development Academy, Safari Books and Pluralsight Technology Learning Platform.
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank.
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses.
- Cycle to work and Car Share Schemes.
Our office application process varies depending on the role and the level of experience needed.
Senior Product Designer
Closing 17 September 2019
- American Express
Closing 17 September 2019
- American Express
Want more Senior UI Designer - Apps jobs?
Want to find more Product Designer jobs, App Designer jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, Interface (UI) Designer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs, Web Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.