Senior Technical Animator
Rare is a one-of-a-kind game studio where we create the kind of games the world doesn't have, games that are uniquely Rare! Working here offers opportunities unlike anywhere else. You'll be providing players with unforgettable shared experiences in games loved by millions worldwide. Our pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, launched in 2018, is still going strong – and alongside that we're busy creating our next magical world, Everwild, announced in 2019 to a global audience.
We strive to make Rare an amazing place to work, embracing a culture of respect and building a supportive environment for our developers. Our custom-built Twycross studio is situated in the beautiful English countryside, surrounded by woodland and wildlife, with plenty of room for us to grow. Studio benefits are catered to making life easier for staff, including flexible working, a bonus scheme, an industry-leading pension package, private healthcare, mental health initiatives and free events for employees and their families.
By joining Rare, you'll be joining one of the finest studios in the industry with support from the wider Xbox Game Studios network. We're always on the lookout for exceptional people who can bring their expertise and unique thinking to help make our team even stronger!
Are you a Senior Technical Animator looking to work on unique and innovative AAA game experiences? We have the opportunity for you.
As part of the Technical Animation team, you will work alongside animators and engineers to plan, develop and maintain in-game animation systems that augment the work of our animators to achieve higher standards of animation quality and quantity at runtime. As such, we are looking for an individual with a passion for both the creative and technical aspects of animation.
This role focuses on the rapidly evolving and innovative field of in-game animation technology, with a primary focus on animation implementation and runtime procedural animation systems across a wide variety of Rare's unique and stylised characters. We are also invested in ongoing R&D into new and emerging animation technology and middleware. This role is a real opportunity for a problem solver with a creative technical mindset.
- Implement animation within UE4 (e.g. via State Machines and Blueprints).
- Work closely with Animation, Engineering and Design to manage the overall look and feel of character movement in-game.
- Create runtime procedural animation systems to reduce animation workload and improve believability/readability of characters in-game.
- Support the Animation team with planning, knowledge sharing and general technical support.
- Participate in R&D into current and emerging animation technologies.
- Run performance testing and optimisation.
- Maintain clear and concise documentation for use by internal and external teams.
- Plan, implement and maintain in-game technical animation solutions that are reliable, user-friendly and performant.
- Experience maintaining animation State Machines within UE4 or comparable systems, e.g. Morpheme/Mecanim/Havok Behavior.
- Good fundamental knowledge of animation and the processes involved in creating animations.
- Knowledge of procedural runtime animation solutions such as FBIK/retargeting/ragdoll.
- Knowledge of one or more scripting/programming languages such as Python/C++/C#. Blueprints experience is desirable and basic C++ highly advantageous.
- A thorough knowledge of Unreal Engine, though experience with other engines such as Unity or CryEngine is acceptable.
- Knowledge of animation software such as Maya, MotionBuilder or 3ds Max.
- Shipped at least one AAA console/PC title as a Technical Animator or as an Animator with involvement in technical animation.
- A passion for both animation and animation technology.
- Able to take ownership and drive technical solutions independently and within a team.
- Experience researching and evaluating animation middleware.
- Able to adapt to new technologies and pipelines.
- An interest in advanced tech such as neural networks/machine learning would be a distinct advantage.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Senior Technical Artist
Closing 18 January 2021
Closing 18 January 2021
Want more Senior Technical Animator jobs?
Want to find more Digital Animator jobs, Digital Technical Manager jobs, Technical Manager jobs, 2D Animator jobs, 3D Animator jobs, Animation Artist jobs, Animator jobs, Special Effects Animator jobs, Special Effects Artist jobs, Special Effects Supervisor jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.