Senior Staff Editor
The mission of The New York Times is to seek the truth and help people understand the world. That means independent journalism is at the heart of all we do as a company. It’s why we have a newsroom that’s 1,700 strong and sends journalists to report on the ground from nearly 160 countries. It’s why we focus deeply on how our readers will experience our journalism, from print to audio to a world-class digital and app destination. And it’s why our business strategy centers on making journalism so good that it’s worth paying for.
Note for US based roles: Any offer of employment is contingent on providing proof of Covid-19 vaccination prior to your start date, subject to approved medical and/or religious exemptions, in accordance with applicable law.
The International desk is looking for a talented, experienced and versatile editor to help us to cover the world, based in our London newsroom. This is a chance to join a collegial, committed and talented team of reporters and editors who have a history of award-winning work, an eagerness to experiment with new and developing story forms, and a passion for bringing New York Times journalism to a truly global audience.
It’s a fast-paced and constantly changing job. With busy newsrooms in Seoul, London and New York, the International desk is one of the most dynamic at The Times, handling live and breaking news, hard-hitting enterprise, features of every kind and a widening array of new story forms from every part of the planet.
This is a position that will be responsible for overseeing regional coverage for the U.K. and filling in for others depending on the needs of the desk. The successful candidate will manage a team of reporters and ensure the desk is thinking about both topical beats and regional coverage in a range of story formats. The editor should be passionate about innovating our global coverage amongst a range of countries with varying histories, cultures, economies, landscapes and political systems.
Our leadership team is committed to developing talented and up-and-coming editors, and we are looking for someone with a rich toolkit of skills. The successful candidate should be a self-starter, who is easy to communicate with and does not hesitate to throw out ideas and challenge conventional thinking. We want someone who can help shape ideas and own a story from beginning to end – to help reporters conceptualize stories and the best ways of telling them, to edit through all necessary drafts and elements, and to help ensure their work gets the widest possible audience. We want a collaborator and communicator who can effectively work across our global newsroom and with other desks.
- Generating story ideas and editing stories that demonstrate solid news judgment – from the immediacy of live briefings and spot news stories to longer-term news features and ambitious enterprise.
- Supervising and working with reporters to shape those stories and bring them to life
- Coordinating and communicating coverage during breaking and planned news events
- Triaging news to help determine which elements deserve the most attention
- Thinking creatively about new ways to tell stories and being willing to learn how to execute those storytelling techniques
- Working with visual editors – including photo and video editors – to develop and execute visual-first stories and other story forms
- Editing a wide range of material for accuracy, grammar, comprehension, context and readability
- Maintaining the ethical standards of The Times in all published material
Our ideal candidate:
- Expertise in European and U.K. regional politics, culture, and economics
- Extensive proven ability to write and edit copy for news and enterprise; compelling headlines and captions; other display type and social copy
- Ability to deal with management, staff and sources in a highly professional manner
- Meticulous organizational skills; ability to prioritize with strong attention to accuracy
- Experience collaborating with other departments to set and carry out publication plans for all platforms, including external platforms such as social media
- Ability to work effectively at the necessary pace to meet deadlines for multiple platforms
- A willingness to be flexible as the newsroom’s needs evolve
- Professional judgment with respect to confidentiality
- A strong collegial and collaborative attitude; effective written and verbal communication
- Being knowledgeable about Times style and applying it properly in different content types
- An appreciation of The New York Times culture, writing style and commitment to journalistic standards and ethics
The New York Times is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the varied global community we serve. Our journalism and the products we build in the service of that journalism greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which can only come from diversity of all types, across our ranks, at all levels of the organization. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do. It is also the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color and gender nonconforming candidates to apply.
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law.
All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics. The New York Times Company will provide reasonable accommodations as required by applicable federal, state, and/or local laws, and will consider qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable "Fair Chance" laws.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Motion Graphics Designer & Editor, 6-12 Month FTC
Closing 29 November 2022
- River Island
- perm, remote, temp to perm
£Competitive + Benefits
Closing 29 November 2022
- Pearson PLC
Chief Sub Editor - Sky News
Closing 28 November 2022
- Sky UK
Want more Senior Staff Editor jobs?
Want to find more Digital Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Editor jobs, Features Editor jobs, Journalist jobs, Managing Editor jobs, News Editor jobs, Sub Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.