Senior Product Owner, Omics Technology
The Senior Product Owner, Omics Technologies within the Laboratory Digital & Tech division is accountable for designing and delivering the road map for products across Discovery R&D that enable all aspects of IT product design and support within R&D – including strategic roadmap, budget, and people management.
This role will assist the business in accessing omics data for proteomics, phospho-proteomics, metabolomics, and NGS as well as managing metadata schema, and determining the roadmap for transition of this data to the cloud. This individual is recognized as the go to leader and trusted advisor for their product suite, working collaboratively and adaptively to constantly meet the needs of their customers and deliver value to GSK.
The use of data and analytics across the R&D organization has become a critical imperative in the transformation pharmaceutical project delivery and impact and requires both a robust foundation of data capture systems as well as a continuous drive to better integrate these solutions to support complex decision-making. He / She will ensure that all research digital and data solutions and tools and their supporting services are delivered to the highest standards of quality and performance.
Success of this role is measured by increasing research value, quality of service, agility of architecture.
Product Owner responsibilities include some of the following:
- Technology Strategy & Enablement: in the role of trusted advisor, strong domain knowledge including business process, industry best practices, in market solutions
- Demand management: Collaborate with business stakeholders to manage and prioritize the product backlog to produce the product set with the highest business value. Accountable for the product backlog and product cost forecast.
- Governance: Establish business value, manage delivery and service performance and manage business risk within the scope of their product. Responsible for representing the product in governance boards such as Steering and Design Authority.
- Product/Project Delivery: Design and deliver the optimal set of products and services which meets the business strategy and requirements. Accountable for creation and execution of the product roadmap.
- Quality, Risk & Compliance: Accountable for ensuring all products within the domain are compliant with internal security and risk management policies and practices, as well as external regulatory and statutory requirements e.g. GxP and that Tech continuity plans are in place for all critical products.
- People Management: Will work in collaboration with the broader team to drive and deliver business value to tight timelines adhering to the release management calendar where applicable. Depending on team structure, the incumbent will matrix or line manage the team
- Adoption strategy & change management: in the role of change agent, support both the product teams and the business in agile approaches to solution development and adoption, building excitement, momentum, visible success stories and clear value-based versions of vision as roadmap plans come to life.
The successful candidate will be someone with an academic and professional life sciences background. S/he will have spent several years in research labs with experience in high throughput proteomics, genomics, and transcriptomics techniques. The successful candidate will therefore have a strong affinity for both supporting ‘omics solutions daily, and for continuous improvement and innovation in that space.
The successful candidate will possess the following functional competencies:
- 7+ years relevant experience in a large, international and geographically distributed life science organization with cultural diversity
- Passionate about life sciences and R&D, able to translate the business mission to accelerate the development of life saving medicines into digital and data strategies and associated requirements for technology solutions.
- A highly skilled communicator and operator able who can act as a trusted advisor to the R&D leaders and oversee the implementation, integration, and delivery of R&D solutions from the ground.
- Experience acting as a business partner at the intersection of Digital and Discovery R&D, fostering collaboration between different disciplines to deliver solutions and services while promoting a culture of quality, performance, and end-user focus.
- A deep understanding of life sciences (in particular, high throughput omics techniques) work and data flows and supporting digital and data solutions.
- Bachelor’s Degree - Technical degree eg. Engineering, Information Technology coming with a biological/chemistry/Bioinformatic background
- Track record in delivering business impact through process and Tech enabled solutions
- Excellent relationship management, strong influencing and communication skills
- Knowledge and assessment of emerging trends (both functional and technical) within domain
- Experience working as part of agile product development teams, 2 years of Agile methodologies experience
- The inclination to seek and analyze data from a variety of sources to support decisions and to align others with the organization's overall strategy.
- An entrepreneurial and creative approach to developing new, innovative ideas.
- Ability to build strong relationships with others, demonstrating emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Master’s or Doctorate in Tech / Life Sciences
- Strong understanding of Information Technology systems
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure in a dynamic environment
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deploy new systems to large user base
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems and deliver significant process improvements
- Technical Writing experience
- Demonstrated ability to influence leaders
- Experience working in a matrix environment with input from life scientists, Tech, and data analysts
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work within a multi-national / multi-cultural environment
- Experience developing a data and product ecosystem to deliver enterprise-wide solutions
- Experience communicating with partners and stakeholders across all levels of organizations
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organisation where people can thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years. Our R&D focus is to deliver a new generation of vaccines and medicines using the science of the immune system, human genetics and advanced technologies to get ahead of infectious diseases, HIV, cancer and other immune-mediated and respiratory diseases. We do all this with a commitment to operate responsibly for all our stakeholders by prioritising Innovation, Performance and Trust.
Our bold ambitions for patients are reflected in new commitments to growth and a significant step-change in delivery over the next five years. This means more GSK vaccines and medicines, including innovative new products, will reach more people who need them than ever before.
We have long believed that building trust is key to stronger performance, helping to create value for shareholders, impact for patients and society and a reason outstanding people choose to work for and with us. That’s why being a responsible business is an integral part of our strategy. Taking action on environmental, social and governance issues is a key driver in our strategy.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a place where people feel inspired, encouraged and challenged to be the best they can be. A place where they can be themselves – feeling welcome, valued and included. Where they can keep growing and look after their wellbeing. So, if you share our ambition, join us at this exciting moment in our journey to get Ahead Together.
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Other jobs you may be interested in
OneFCC Screening Product Owner Manager
Closing 9 April 2023
- Milton Keynes
- perm, freelance, temp to perm
Product Owner (12 Months FTC)
Closing 13 March 2023
- Virgin Media
- perm, freelance, temp to perm
Product Owner, Laboratory Inventory Systems
Closing 5 April 2023
Want more Senior Product Owner, Omics Technology jobs?
Want to find more Product Development Manager jobs, Product Development Director jobs, Chief Product Officer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.