Senior Product Designer
Every week, Riverford delivers organic food to around 90,000 homes and businesses across the UK. This takes loads of brilliant people, from growers to IT experts, and more besides!
We’re a friendly, forward-thinking bunch, and our three core values - Stronger Together, Do Things Well and Independence - run through everything we do. We celebrate diversity, valuing, supporting and developing the whole person as an equal opportunities’ employer.
In 2018, Riverford became employee owned. Working here makes you a ‘co-owner’, our way of saying ‘employee’. It’s not just a name - every co-owner can play a part in shaping Riverford. Success means much more than just profits; we want this to be a place people enjoy coming to work, and a business our co-owners feel proud of. In 2021, we were delighted to be awarded two-star Best Companies accreditation, recognising Riverford as an ‘outstanding’ place to work.
We’re also proud to be a B Corp - a certification for ethical businesses who work not just for profit, but also to benefit people and the planet.
What you’ll be doing:
Riverford’s online presence is absolutely core to our business. Our website and app are the primary ways our customers engage with us, and we want them to be industry leading.
As a Senior Product Designer, you’ll be an integral part of an agile, multi-discipline team; we’re a mix of designers and engineers, all passionate about building intuitive things that people love to use. You’ll take complex usability problems, and create easy-to-use and accessible solutions that have been proven by research, testing and iteration. As well as identifying pain points and creating user journeys, wireframes and prototypes, you’ll be just as comfortable testing them and proving your designs.
Strong communication skills are a big part of this role. Working with stakeholders from a variety of departments across the business, you’ll be able to build strong working relationships, bringing people along with you on an exciting digital journey. You should feel comfortable suggesting new approaches, care about improving all our digital products, and be unafraid to question the status quo.
Initially, our roadmap will focus on our customer-facing products - but we also want our business-facing solutions to be outstanding, for the co-owners who rely on them every day.
This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to work with like-minded and highly capable people, to deliver fantastic user experiences: as a team, our work should exceed customer expectations, be highly engaging, and even bring delight!
What you'll do:
- Collaborate with product management and engineering to define and implement innovative solutions for the product direction, visuals and experience.
- Identify pain points and customer experience improvements through a deep understanding of our customer and our digital products.
- Create wireframes and prototypes for design exploration and usability testing.
- Use data-driven insights to design and evolve product features that solve real customer problems.
- Be comfortable working within a lean and agile process to release products fast and often.
- Work within a highly collaborative environment.
You'll likely have:
- A passion for product design.
- Proficiency in solving end-to-end customer problems.
- Experience of facilitating and reporting on usability sessions.
- Expertise with relevant design / prototyping software.
- Knowhow of user-centred design, including usability and accessibility best practice.
- Experience in insight-driven design (site analytics, GA and user research).
- A strong knowledge of visual design fundamentals including layout, colour and typography.
- Great communication skills and the ability to clearly articulate design rationale.
- Great collaborative skills to get the best results.
You’ll be very capable of solving design problems and communicating them to technical and non-technical people. Previous experience in commercial UX design, working with teams, focused around creating high quality, polished user interfaces and experiences is essential. You will be involved in the wider design community and will have made contributions through blogs, talks and conferences.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic.
- Every project at Riverford is collaborative so the ability to work within a creative, motivated, skilled team to deliver the best possible outcome for the customer - You’ll be joining a fantastic team, with a wealth of experience.
- You will be involved in the design community and have a passion for all things design - It’s why you get up in the morning.
- Highly creative with the ability to find a different perspective on interaction problems and their solutions - You’ll be solving complex interaction issues with a highly motivated team across disciplines.
What you should know:
We are less concerned about specifics than we are about cultural fit, an ambition, and capability, to learn and develop your skills. If there is something on our list which is out of your comfort zone that’s fine but expect us, to expect you, to pick it up and run with it should you join us! That said, here are our ideal skills for this role:
- User-centred - Riverford is user-first and our products should embody that.
- Collaboration - Insight + Design + Engineering = Success.
- Research to concept to production - Delivery of each design stage.
- UI & digital design trends - Material, flat, minimalist, micro-animations, etc.
- Responsive - All designs must adapt to their device and channel.
- Progressive enhancement - Work for everyone, enrich where able.
- A/B testing - The best driver of direction is data and tests help deliver it.
- Latin plant names - Just joking.
- Creative tooling - We use Figma.
- Prototype tooling - For example, Figma, Pixate, Invision App, Marvel, Flinto, etc.
- Usability testing - The best way to learn is from the horse’s mouth.
- E-commerce - Awareness of business impact is fundamental to success.
- Agile / Scrum / Kanban - We develop just-in-time to deliver value quickly.
- Jira - We communicate direction and progress through user-stories.
Riverford is a beautiful place to work, with lots of great people - and other benefits too.
- We offer 10% training time every week helping you to grow.
- 33 days holiday pro rata (including bank holidays).
- Generous company pension scheme.
- Annual profit share; 10% of all our profits are split equally between all co-owners.
- 25% off everything we sell.
- Heavily discounted organic breakfasts and lunches, home-cooked by our canteen chefs, at our two biggest sites.
- Free organic fruit and veg!
- Enhanced maternity / paternity pay (plus six months of free veg boxes).
- An annual allowance to spend on Riverford branded clothing.
- Lots of free co-owner events, including two massive parties a year.
- Flexible working options.
- Life assurance cover.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Closing 7 December 2021
- Hargreaves Lansdown
- Bristol (Harbourside)
Senior Digital Designer
Closing 20 December 2021
- Superb Media
- £40,000 to 50,000 per annum
Closing 20 December 2021
Want more Senior Product Designer jobs?
Want to find more Product Designer jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, Interface (UI) Designer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs, Information Architect jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.