Senior Lighting Artist
Studio Gobo is an established AAA games studio, part of the Keywords Studios family. Our team has worked on multiple world-class projects for companies such as Tencent, Disney, Ubisoft and Warner Bros. Projects include Synced: Off-Planet, For Honor, Marvel Super Heroes: Guardians of the Galaxy and Star Wars: Rise Against the Empire playsets for Disney Infinity 3.0.
At Studio Gobo, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. Studio Gobo is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We offer a comprehensive benefits package and an award-winning environment to work in, rating 4.9 out of 5 stars for employee satisfaction on glassdoor.com!
Studio Gobo is looking for a talented Lighting Artist who possesses the ability to light environments, cutscenes and characters for a AAA character action console video game. This position has a significant impact on many teams work and is responsible for creating atmosphere, realism, tone, depth, drama or narrative. They will also establish and clarify location, weather, time of day for all our game worlds.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Work closely with the Art Director, Lead Artist and Environment Team to establish the aesthetic and technical standards for the games lighting and cinematic style.
- Collaborate with the client’s vision for lighting and tone and able to interpret feedback effectively.
- Reinforce gameplay interactions, readability, and traversal through lighting techniques.
- You will be the point of contact for lighting, work with the client to ensure the lighting setup is authored according to their guidelines.
- Develop and maintain lighting pipeline and project workflow specific documentation.
- Create, setup and maintain all elements of lighting, i.e. dynamic, prebaked, interior and exterior for all game levels on our projects.
- Make a significant direct contribution to the lighting of all game environments. Responsible for placing, tweaking, balancing and optimising of light sources within all game levels.
- Creation of sky setups, mood, atmospherics, look and tone of our game worlds.
- Tuning of surface shading materials and textures to improve the perception of world lighting.
- Working to ensure the Art Direction and vision is delivered on and kept consistent with other lighter’s work across the project. Post processing; color grading, exposure, SSAO, GI etc.
- Contributing to the development and placing of special effects related to lighting and atmosphere.
- Prototyping the use of lighting technology to reach the visual targets defined by the art direction.
- Collaborate with the Technical Art and Engineering teams to develop tools and pipelines.
- Visually communicate lighting concepts through the creation of colour scripts, mood boards and corrective paint over production pieces.
- Demonstrate, communicate, and exemplify clear expectations for quality of work, productivity, communication, and professionalism to the team.
- Partner closely with Technical Artists and TD’s to deliver an efficient and stable lighting pipeline.
- Perform special projects as assigned.
These are some of the things we’d love to see from you to be an excellent fit for the role:
- 2+ years of production lighting experience on a successful game, TV or film project
- Exceptional understanding of composition, lighting, color theory, colour space etc.
- Full understanding of lighting/rendering technologies specifically PBR workflows (pre-render and real-time rendering), materials/shaders and their relationship to light.
- Pro-active in the use of lighting as a powerful tool in gameplay clarity and a positive champion for the Art Direction and its execution in-game.
- Prior experience working with the current state of the art game engines for modern console hardware. Experience with Unreal a distinct advantage.
- A showreel, demonstrating your visual and technical ability.
- Passion, drive and genuine interest in playing games.
When you join Studio Gobo you can expect to enjoy a unique culture. Whether its participating and relaxing with one of our wellness benefits or discussing the latest games over lunch cooked by our in-house chef. The Studio knows that it’s the best people that make the best games and this is what Studio Gobo invests in. Below you will find all the benefits and perks you can enjoy as a Studio Gobo team member.
- Holidays: 20 days’ annual leave entitlement, plus 3 days’ studio closure over the Christmas period, giving a total of 23 days paid annual leave plus all 8 UK bank holidays.
- Bonus Anniversary Holidays: An additional day of annual leave for each year’s anniversary working at Studio Gobo, to a maximum of 7 extra days!
- Generous Team Project Bonuses.
- Company Pension Scheme – Employer contribution matching award winning pension scheme provided by NEST under the UK governments automatic enrolment scheme.
- Volunteer Time Off: ‘Studio Gobo in the Community’ – Spend one day per year on full pay volunteering for the non-profit organisation of your choice.
- Private Medical Insurance Scheme – Full private medical cover provided by BUPA Private Healthcare.
- Group Life Insurance.
- Private Dental Insurance Scheme – Full private dental cover provided under our Dental plan company scheme.
- Group Income Protection
- Cycle to Work Scheme – Salary sacrifice cycle purchase scheme with tax savings through Evans Cycles.
- Eye-care Vouchers – Free eye tests.
- Train Travel Season Ticket Loan – Interest free company loan to spread the cost of an annual season ticket.
- Personal Trainer Sessions – Free gym sessions with our own Gobo personal trainer.
- Health and Wellbeing Allowance - £50 per month to spend on your choice of a range of healthy activities.
- Fast Growing Studio – Plenty of room for career advancement.
- Industry Conferences Budget – A generous annual studio conferences budget. Many of our employees benefit from attending conferences such as GDC, E3 or SIGGRAPH, THU, Develop etc every year.
- Free locally roasted Coffee & Speciality Teas
- Gobo Cereal Bar – Extensive granola, muesli and breakfast cereal selections.
- Full Chefs Kitchen & Equipment – Free use of our large full-sized chef’s kitchen ideal for whipping up a quick snack or a culinary feast.
- Fresh Home Cooked Gobo Friday Lunch – Our world-famous lunch prepared and served every Friday by our own in-house Gobo chef. Sit, eat and chat with your work colleagues
- Fresh Fruit & Healthy Snacks – Provided every day, with a suggestion board for new treats!
- Pastries, Cakes & Doughnuts – For the odd naughty pleasure.
- Soft Drinks Fridge – A large range of free chilled soft drinks.
- Gobo Beer & Wine Fridge – Free beers, ales and wine and even the odd gin and tonic! Grab a beer at our end of week Show and Tell sessions and see what everybody else in the company has been up to!
- In-house Social Clubs – There are lots of ways to socialise with your colleagues here! From day one you’re invited to join in clubs for D&D fans, board games, bouldering, drawing nights, yoga, cooking club – the list goes on and there is always space open for new members!
- Extensive Video Game & Book Library – Borrow a game, a book or even a whole console.
- Spacious Industrial Chic Studio Space – Many visitors comment on what an amazing studio space we have. We’ve invested a lot of time, thought and money into our studio. And we get to work in this space every day. Our working environment makes an incredible difference to our mood and productivity.
- Dogs with Jobs – Studio Gobo is a dog friendly employer. Bring doggo into the studio to meet and hang out with the rest of the team any time!
- Project Wrap Parties, Cinema Nights & Team Nights Out – We work hard together so it’s good to let off steam and spend some time together seeing what the wonderful city of Brighton & Hove has to offer.
- Monthly Studio Social Nights – Once per month the studio plays host to the biggest party in Brighton & Hove (probably). The drinks fridge is open for all. Invite a loved one to join us for food, drinks and anything in an array of board games, Smash Bros tournaments, 10-person Overwatch multiplayer bouts, Beer Pong or even a bit of karaoke.
- Summer Festival – Every year on a hot summer’s afternoon, we all leave work early to enjoy the sun with company organised pop-up diner, cocktail shack, bouncy castle, face painting and other fun amenities. The whole family is invited to spend the day coming to socialise with us, on us :)
Closing 2 August 2020
- Studio Gobo Limited
Closing 2 August 2020
- Hangar 13
Want more Senior Lighting Artist jobs?
Want to find more 2D Artist jobs, 3D Artist jobs, Artist jobs, Lighting Designer jobs, Digital Artist jobs, Gaming Artist jobs, Layout Artist jobs, Lighting Designer jobs, Lighting Supervisor jobs, Location Lighting jobs, Special Effects Artist jobs, Texture Artist/Texture Painter jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.