Senior Graphic Designer
Once upon a time, a store in NYC named STORY created an entirely different type of immersive retail experience. We believed that shopping could be more than just about buying things. We decided to act like a magazine, change our theme and merchandise every 4-8 weeks. Our neighbors at Macy’s saw an opportunity to take what we had created inside one store and take it to the rest of America - and in April 2018, STORY officially joined the Macy’s family. Our address has now changed to 36 Macy’s stores across the country, but our community-centered mission and ever-changing DNA is very much the same.
STORY at Macy’s is a store to explore, an ever-changing retail concept that brings a new theme to life every couple of months, through a mix of new products and events for all ages. Think: kids crafting sessions, mixology class, makeup tutorials, and meet and greets with your favorite author. We’re also the best spot to explore fun, tasty, colorful, playful, surprising, gifts for everyone - including Y-O-U. We’re very big on supporting small businesses, obsessed with great stories and we believe that entrepreneurs have so much to tell us all.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Our Graphic Designer role exists to contribute to each theme’s narrative purpose and support STORY at Macys’ brand objectives. This role is unlike a typical Graphic Designer because STORY’s integrated approach to narrative driven retail. You’ll be challenged to translate editorial frameworks to support the overall objective of any given theme across dozens of locations nationwide, design signage to support the ever-changing and quick turnaround needs of our event programming and generally react to the ongoing and fast-paced design needs of STORY’s business. And you’ll also be part of a cross-functional team of expert colleagues working in new ways—more agile, more adaptive, more human—so throw the old playbook away. A typical day for this role might include participating in a design brainstorm for an upcoming theme, design an email blast for an event, layout files for in store signage and present options for a particular editorial framework and regular collaboration with our Director of Marketing, Director of Events and Director of Sponsorships. This role reports to the Director of Creative Services.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Concept, develop and execute a wide variety of assets for in-store, digital applications, website needs, marketing and PR initiatives, digital ads, mobile, and social media channels, on-site events, campaigns.
- Support social media, PR outreach, events and engagement with graphic assets.
- Follow and maintain brand identity characteristics, typography, photography, color etc.
- Work closely with all design team members in a collaborative environment.
- Innovate creative graphic-based campaigns to elevate the STORY at Macy’s brand through a multitude of channels.
- Work with the production vendors to ensure the design direction is realized all the way from inception to final delivery at the store or event, etc.
- Maintain brand consistency throughout all projects.
- Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
THINGS YOU’LL NEED:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Vision and passion—to see the future of retail and want to create it.
- 5-8 years of experience as a graphic designer.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and the ability to adapt quickly.
- Resilience, tenacity, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
- Strong communication, both in-person and through modern tools and platforms.
- Ability to attract, develop and retain top talent.
- Deep empathy and emotional intelligence.
- Ability to inspire others to action through influence and advice.
- Cross-functional exposure and experience in past roles.
- Financial and operational acumen.
- Comfort operating in non-hierarchical cultures and navigating hierarchical ones.
- This position involves regular walking, standing, hearing, and talking. May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching. Involves close vision, color vision, depth perception, and focus adjustment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and store/company needs.
- REQUIREMENT: Please note that only applications with portfolios attached or linked to website will be considered.
ONE MORE THING:
We love people with special sauce! Do you juggle, run marathons, plan secret dinner parties? Be sure to let us know!
STORY is a first-of-its-kind retail concept that changes like a gallery, takes the point of view of a magazine, and sells things like a store. Our mission is to create accessible discovery at the intersection of community and small business.
This job description is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy's, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy’s, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Senior Graphic Designer
Closing 18 March 2020
- New York
2020 Summer Intern: UX Design, Customer Experience
Closing 18 March 2020
Want more Senior Graphic Designer jobs?
Want to find more Events Designer jobs, Graphic Designer jobs, Product Designer jobs, App Designer jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Email Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, Web Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.