Senior Experience Designer - Nectar
Hi there – we’re Nectar, the UK’s largest loyalty scheme with over 17 million customers. We’re part of Sainsbury’s Group but our brand has its own playful personality. We work closely with some of the UK’s favourite brands like Argos and eBay, along with 100s of other partners from retail to travel and everything in-between.
We’re on a mission to reimagine the future of loyalty. Think of personalised offers and playful experiences across all our brands and channels. Our customers are ever more app-engaged, and we’re excited about the possibilities that brings.
Our ambitions are greater still. Nectar Connect uses open banking to give customers the opportunity to get more value for their money through our partners. Our new Insight Platform is helping colleagues and business partners to better manage our product range, setting the trend in offering customers ever more enticing, healthier and more sustainable product choices. And we’re providing our partners with new ways to engage with customers on platforms including Google, Facebook and Instagram.
Nectar flows through our business from where we source our products to customers’ homes and we’re transforming the relationship we have with our customers and partners. Join us and make life a little sweeter for millions of people across the UK.
As an Experience Designer for Nectar, you’ll also be part of the wider Customer Experience Design (CXD) team and you’ll get the chance to work with other designers, researchers and writers on projects that bring Nectar to life across our different brands. You can find out more about our work, our colleagues and our culture on our Medium blog.
About this role:
You’ll be accountable for creating the best ever Nectar experiences for our customers and colleagues – working closely with researchers, designers, developers, product managers and marketing teams. You’ll set measurable goals and outcomes to continually improve what we have today, whilst envisioning the future Nectar experience and how it flows across Sainsbury’s ecosystem and beyond.
You’ll approach things in a balanced way, considering outcomes, design principles, analytics, customer insight and business requirements. You’ll be thinking strategically and end-to-end of how designs can be translated across all channels, on app, web and in store.
Along the way, you’ll lead workshops, collaborate confidently, and present the objective rationale for your design decisions to influence the best outcomes for customers and the business. And as part of the wider CXD team, you’ll proactively share your journey and learnings with others.
You’ll recruit, nurture and lead a highly capable design team, setting goals and living our values on inclusion and personal development.
Application good to knows:
To be considered we’ll need to see your previous work. We’re interested in your whole process; how you approach problems, generate ideas, test with customers, push around pixels and iterate on what you’ve put out into the world. Here’s some tips on what we’re looking for in your portfolio.
You don’t need to worry about having a fancy website that you’ve built yourself – although if you do that’s great. You can use Google Slides or put together a PDF – it’s totally ok. What’s most important is that you’re showing your work clearly and thoughtfully.
Worried your experience doesn’t quite match? We’d encourage you to drop us a message or go ahead and apply anyway – we like to keep an open mind.
What you need to do:
- Identify, define and deliver digital solutions and opportunities for new propositions, services, products and experience areas that deliver value to customers and colleagues and are directly aligned with Sainsbury’s Group digital vision and KPIs
- Lead all phases of user-centred design through a data-informed, test-and-learn approach
- Champion the voice of the user through your work, organising and conducting user research and user testing to inform concepts and validate designs, and bringing stakeholders on the same journey
- Consider the wider Sainsbury’s Group digital ecosystem when designing concepts and solutions that are aligned with our strategic vision of allowing our customers to shop whenever and however they want
- Lead and manage stakeholders and project teams through a user-centred design approach whilst balancing business challenges and strategic vision
- Run workshops with cross-functional teams to inspire user-centred design thinking
- Inspire, coach and motivate junior members of the design community
- Work with the Guidelines team to continuously evolve the digital guidelines and champion their adoption
- Consistently embed inclusive design principles in your work and encourage throughout the team
- Work comfortably in or out of scrum, but consistently proactively collaborate with cross-functional teams, championing best-practice for design thinking in an agile environment
What you need to know:
- Wide range of experience as a service, UX, product or UI designer ideally for a big brand
- High level of creativity, problem-solving skills
- Adept at collaborating with and influencing stakeholders through a range of agile methods, including workshops – championing the voice of the customer whilst balancing business objectives
- Utilise a broad range of UX tools and techniques with portfolio evidence of these deliverables
- A thorough technical understanding of inclusive design frameworks
- Expert skills with Figma, Miro and rapid prototyping tools
- Knowledge of best practices and emerging digital technologies and trends
- Wide range of experience in user-centred design and usability best practices
- Methods and practices of usability research and confidence in conducting research and interpreting results
What you need to show:
Ability to demonstrate the behavioural competencies expected of a senior designer, including initiative, flexibility, influencing, negotiating, strong communication skills and ability to deal with ambiguity
An outstanding digital portfolio, showcasing your talent, skills, process and experience
The ability to practice thought leadership and to advise the business on how to best realise business, brand and digital experience goals through the creation of best-in-class user experiences
Proactive collaboration with the Principal Experience Design Manager on design strategy
Proactive collaboration with project teams, the design community and senior stakeholders alike
Ability to manage multiple, changing priorities, and work with diverse personalities and complex dynamics
What decisions I can make:
Design decisions that improve the customer’s user experience
Resources available to me:
The Customer Experience Design team Designers, Principal Experience Design Manager, Design Guidelines team, Research and Copywriting experts
Engineers, Product Managers
All resources within Sainsbury’s, including subject matter experts
Want more Senior Experience Designer - Nectar jobs?
Want to find more Product Designer jobs, App Designer jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, Interface (UI) Designer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs, Web Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.