Senior Editor, Investigations and Enterprise
Every great story has a new beginning, and yours starts here.
Welcome to Warner Bros. Discovery… the stuff dreams are made of.
Who We Are…
When we say, “the stuff dreams are made of,” we’re not just referring to the world of wizards, dragons and superheroes, or even to the wonders of Planet Earth. Behind WBD’s vast portfolio of iconic content and beloved brands, are the storytellers bringing our characters to life, the creators bringing them to your living rooms and the dreamers creating what’s next…
From brilliant creatives, to technology trailblazers, across the globe, WBD offers career defining opportunities, thoughtfully curated benefits, and the tools to explore and grow into your best selves. Here you are supported, here you are celebrated, here you can thrive.
CNN’s award-winning EMEA team is seeking an experienced journalist to lead our hard-hitting and impactful long-form digital work as Editor for Investigations and Enterprise, overseeing deeply reported, visually arresting projects from across the region.
In the past year, our journalists have revealed how the Iranian regime uses rape to quell protests, uncovered important details of massacres in the brutal civil war in Ethiopia, and detailed how a Russian strike destroyed a maternity hospital in Mariupol. In this new role, you will take on projects like these, taking CNN’s investigative and enterprise reporting to new heights.
You will be experienced in overseeing complex stories from inception to publication, familiar with innovative ways of telling difficult stories, comfortable at assessing difficult sourcing, and adept at bringing together writers, video producers, graphic designers, and developers. You'll work with partners in the London bureau and more widely at CNN to ensure that our enterprise and investigative reporting have the highest-possible impact. And you’ll work with the Executive Editor, EMEA, to help shape the strategy for CNN’s enterprise and investigations work on digital.
- Leading the investigative and enterprise output across the EMEA region
- Identifying compelling storylines and framings for reporting projects that lead to impactful, consequential investigations, and managing their development from early stages through reporting, editing and approvals
- Developing longer-lead projects as well as shorter-term enterprise reporting around time-sensitive news cycles
- Convening and collaborating with teams from different departments across CNN to shape and guide reporting projects
- Working with key stakeholders to identify the best format for stories such as text, video, interactive presentations
- Supervising the vetting of source material to ensure the solidity of the final story
- Working with CNN’s editorial, standards, and legal oversight teams to bring projects to a publishable state, meeting CNN’s rigorous standards
- Contributing to the reporting, writing and production of some projects
- Building productive partnerships with journalists in different departments across EMEA and guiding them on best practices for digital
- Managing relationships with senior leaders across different divisions to align reporting and resource priorities
- Working with CNN’s audience development team to ensure that reader metrics help inform our reporting targets and maximize impact
- Line-managing members of staff compassionately and with clear guidance, while finding opportunities to further develop their skills
- Occasionally deputizing for senior leaders in meetings and in supervisory capacities
- Working with other senior leaders to ensure our team is a place where colleagues feel comfortable expressing views and ideas, and helping turn good ideas into great stories
- Occasionally stepping in for other senior editors, including as part of the on-call weekend senior editor rotation
- Working with the Executive Editor, EMEA, to develop an editorial strategy for impactful investigations and enterprise reporting
- Solid experience in digital newsrooms, preferably with an enterprise or investigatory focus
- Experience in open-source investigations
- A track record of producing or leading investigations that have achieved global impact
- Impeccable editorial judgement, with a demonstrable experience of making judgement calls on sensitive stories
- Experience in journalism with a global focus preferred
- Being a clear communicator who can diplomatically manage key stakeholders on potentially contentious stories
- Willingness to be on-call in a supervisory capacity across weekends, in a rotation with other senior leaders
- Willingness to work longer hours when needed to bring major projects to a conclusion
How We Get Things Done…
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits…
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, disability or any other category protected by law.
If you’re a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Sub Editor - The Express
Closing 15 February 2023
- Reach Plc
- perm, remote
£Competitive + excellent company benefits
Senior Social Video Editor - Daily Mirror, Daily Star, Daily Express and OK! Magazine
Closing 1 March 2023
- Reach Plc
£Competitive + excellent company benefits
Copy Editor - Mat Cover
Closing 5 April 2023
- The White Company
Want more Senior Editor, Investigations and Enterprise jobs?
Want to find more Digital Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Editor jobs, Features Editor jobs, Journalist jobs, Managing Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Offline Editor jobs, Online Editor jobs, Managing Editor (Publishing) jobs, Publishing Editor jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.