Senior Editor, EClinicalMedicine
EClinicalMedicine, is looking for a full-time, in-house Senior Editor to join the editorial team in our London office.
Published as part of The Lancet Group, EClinicalMedicine is an online only gold open access journal, publishing original research to help frontline health professionals navigate the complex and rapid health transitions facing societies worldwide.
The key responsibilities of the role are to help oversee submissions, quality peer review, and publication of high quality, novel research by clinicians and clinical researchers across the medical continuum.
Main Activities and Responsibilities:
- Developing and maintaining links with the international medical research community, and scanning the current literature to aid in the identification of suitable material and authors for the journal.
- In order to promote the journal, identify key content and keep up to date with current developments across all specialties, attendance at conferences, relevant meetings and laboratory and institute visits will form a key component of this position.
- Commissioning material for the journal as required, and organising and conducting interviews.
- Organising peer review of articles and other written material and negotiating with authors.
- Writing editorials and other material for the journal or website.
- Sub-editing material from all sections of the journal to improve clarity of expression, and to conform to journal style.
- Checking galley proofs and cross- reading journal pages, both as paper copies and on screen.
- Checking of monthly website updates and selection of material for homepage.
- Assist with press releases as required.
- Participate with online strategies.
- Suggesting and helping to develop new initiatives for the further development of the journal.
- Such other duties as may be necessary from time to time (e.g. covering for other team members during holiday and sickness absences).
- Meet daily, weekly, and monthly targets whilst doing other tasks.
- Other tasks consist of: checking cover and contents pages; writing press releases; and attendance at weekly meetings with Editorial and the production department.
3. Quality Control:
- Adherence to highest standards and the journal's agreed approach.
- Checking format of all articles.
- Checking data for accuracy, use of SI units, and clarity of presentation.
- Checking proofs and pages for the whole journal content.
4. Content delivery:
- Overall responsibility for arranging peer review, commissioning content and the timely production of a set number of articles a year, linked Comments and Correspondence and commission Comment content as necessary.
Key Competencies (Aligned with ECF):
Displays High Integrity and Honesty:
- Is a role model and sets example for his/her work group.
- “Walks the talk” and avoids saying one thing and doing another.
- Always honour commitments and keeps promises.
- Confronts dishonesty and unethical behaviour.
- Inspires and encourages others to higher standards of ethical behaviour.
Develops Strategic Perspective:
- Develops team/ divisional vision and communicates with others across the business.
- Ability to help others understand the broader vision of the organisation and translate it into challenging and meaningful goals.
- Maintains a clear perspective and balance between the overall picture and the details.
- Coaches others on how to develop strategic thinking in relation to own market or customer group.
- Champions new projects or programs.
- Has the courage to advocate change that will improve the business.
- Quickly recognises situations where change is needed.
- Is skilled in applying change and transition frameworks to all change initiatives.
- Encourages and energizes others to challenge the statusquo and to actively look for new ways of doing things.
- Encourages others to see change as part of the business and as a means to create new opportunities.
Connects Group to Outside World:
- Develops strong external network, including customers, competitors and leaders in other organisations, to bring in relevant information to the business.
- Helps others stay focused on customer needs.
- Has the ability and confidence to adapt business goals as a result of collected customer metrics.
- Encourages team to build and maintain relationships with external and internal stakeholders globally.
Drives for results:
- Does everything possible to achieve goals.
- Regularly measures and evaluates progress.
- Accepts responsibility for the resultsbased outcomes of group.
- Holds others accountable and encourages others to take accountability for achieving results.
- Shares credit and recognition with others for achieving goals.
Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Is sought out as a subject matter expert in own subject area.
- Acts as a technical coach and mentor to others.
- Uses a highly adaptable approach and is able to express complex technical expertise in a simple, understandable manner to those outside own function.
- Stays at the cutting-edge of own discipline, is well connected externally, understands and implements best practice.
- Fosters an attitude of collaboration across the organisation.
- Builds and supports mutually beneficial relationships with other organisations.
- Communicates belief in and positive expectations toward others.
- Recognises and celebrates strengths of individuals.
Functional and Technical Competencies:
- Interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a team and to keep strict deadlines.
- Negotiation skills with members of the medical profession, the media, and other editors.
- General knowledge and technical skills.
- Knowledge of biological and medical sciences.
- Good use of English.
- Writing skills.
- Familiarity with It systems: PC's, databases, word-processing, publishing software, email and internet,
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Experiences (and any other requirements).
-An MD (with clinical experience in a relevant discipline) or a PhD(in a relevant subject) is required.
- Some editorial experience , preferably at Senior Editor, or Assistant Editor level.
Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact us.
Digital Content Editor
Closing 28 January 2021
- AA plc
- £45,000 per annum
Social Editor - Instagram & Snapchat
Closing 16 March 2021
- LADbible Group
- London, Manchester (Temporarily Remote)
- perm, from remote
Want more Senior Editor, EClinicalMedicine jobs?
Want to find more Digital Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Editor jobs, Features Editor jobs, Managing Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Managing Editor (Publishing) jobs, Publishing Editor jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.