Senior Designer, Print and Graphics - 12 Month FTC
Ready to join one of the most successful fashion brands on the high street? Do you have a passion for fashion? Driven to achieve? United to win? If your answers are yes, we think you’ll love it here on the Island.
From our first shop in the remains of a North London bombsite in the 1940s, to now over 250 stores across the UK, Ireland and internationally. We are known for our stylish, affordable fashion and we like to shout-it loud.
Our Island community is everything and we are stronger together. Every Islander counts in making fashion a force for good and we value individuality and difference. Exceptional people have made River Island a success for over 70 years. Together we will continue to do so in the years ahead.
We are one team. We are the difference. We are River Island.
Our Design Team deliver stand-out, affordable fashion with the unique style and touches that underpin the River Island handwriting. As a Senior Designer you’ll take a lead in setting the direction for your categories, and will be accountable for full development cycle of products for inclusion in the final ranges. As a true subject matter expert in driving design excellence, delivering complex and stand out pieces within the range. Your outstanding market, industry and commercial awareness will ensure delivery of design that represent key trends and drive commercial results, and presentation of a balanced overall range for our customer.
- Deliver excellence in product design, from concept to completion, that represents key trends and commercial opportunities, and create a balanced range for your category.
- Through strong understanding of fabric, engineering, fit and quality, produce designs to a high technical standard, and excellent first sample hit rate, for the level of the market.
- Strong understanding of print techniques, fabrics and dyes to produce designs to a high standard.
- As well as creating graphics and all over prints across all products an understanding of branding would be beneficial not essential.
- Through outstanding broad market and customer awareness and research, and a thorough understanding of the River Island brand, lead and shape Product Development discussions that address key trends and opportunities.
- Overseeing and developing print and graphic trend boards in collaboration with the design teams and multiple departments.
- In developing broad industry and competitor awareness, identify and realise new product and design opportunities aligned to our overall Product strategy.
- At all stages, incorporate an understanding of sustainable practices in design, development and production to deliver on our sustainability commitments, and role model this to the whole Design team.
- Understand sales history, sales and margin targets and range plans across both your own area of countability and more broadly across all divisions to ensure designs are aligned to deliver on commercial opportunities.
- Through strong relationships and collaboration with suppliers, fabric mills, Fabric Sourcing and Buying counterparts, identify and realise opportunities for newness, trends and sourcing.
- Support new Design Talent through mentoring and developing all team members, creating learning opportunities and fostering inclusion and diversity of opinion.
- Provide direction to Designers and Assistant Designers, managing their workload to ensure they contribute effectively to the design process.
- Grows talent within the Design team, identifying readiness for next role, providing learning opportunities, coaching and mentoring in a timely way to enable everyone to realise their individual potential.
Key Experience Required:
- Advanced Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop skills are essential.
- Excellent Product Development skills.
- Excellent technical and creative design skills.
- Strong organisation skills, intentional with time and focus.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Excellent mentoring and development skills.
- Strong commercial acumen.
- Strong interpersonal effectiveness and collaboration skills, emotional intelligence and self-management.
- Builds strong, genuine relationships with peers, highly collaborative approach.
- Forward-thinking, innovative.
- Change champion with a curious, continuous learning mindset.
- Tenacious and resilient and adaptable to change.
- Passion for the RI brand and customer.
- Disciplined and conscientious, results oriented.
And wait, did we mention the perks?
- Discount – Generous 50% staff discount so you can treat yourself!
- RI Rewards – More discounts and vouchers with Perks at Work.
- Island culture – We have a gym, subsidised restaurant & Costa, and a bargain staff shop, all onsite!
- Work that stays at work – Flexible working is a given, on top of payday early finishes and Summer Fridays.
- Health Benefits – Childcare vouchers, eye vouchers and more.
- Giver Island – Give as you earn scheme, a ‘Giver Island’ day each year and matched funding.
- Training on the job – Support with upskilling skills through on the job training and qualifications.
- Pension - A contributory private pension scheme.
- Holiday - 25 days paid holiday.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Closing 11 July 2022
start ASAP- 4 weeks notice
£Depending on experience
Closing 9 July 2022
- perm, remote, temp to perm
Senior UX Designer
Closing 13 July 2022
- Adecco Global IM
- remote, temp to perm, part time
£500 to 600 per day
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.