Senior Designer - Lingerie, Nightwear & Swimwear (Mat Cover)
More about the role:
We’re New Look and we’ve been at the forefront of British high-street fashion since 1969. Over the last 50 years, we’ve grown to be a global, multichannel brand offering on-trend, value-driven fashion for women, men, girls and boys.
Our passion is feel-good fashion at feel-good prices – and we truly believe that all starts with us. Our values inspire us every day: we play to win, we’re customer-obsessed and we work as one to give each and every one of our customers That New Look Feeling.
It's a busy and exciting time for the brand and we’re on the hunt for a Senior Designer to join our growing Design team.
Design is where it all starts. The dynamic creative hub that sets the vision and inspiration behind the product. Delivering the overarching trends in fashion and culture that inspires the whole business.
Designing key items that drive the buy and ways to wear that lead the wider channels. We create and design the trends key items, and palettes and work closely with the buying, merch and supplier teams to deliver the product that our customers love and give them that New Look feeling they crave.
No two days are the same and we thrive in a fast-paced environment.
We love having a laugh while we do it and look out for each other.
Great role for an experienced LNS Senior Designer to join our team. If you enjoy working in the fast paced and exciting environment, juggling multiple plates and having a good laugh as you do – then the New Look Design team is for you! This role offers a wide breath of autonomy across the LNS categories, this includes Core, 915 & brands (Maternity & curves) across Nightwear, Swim & Beach and Lingerie, reporting directly into the head of and working with a talented team. You will put the customer requirements at the centre of the product offer to develop and deliver a commercial and profitable ranges that maximises sales opportunity.
You will support the Company Design strategy by designing and developing core ranges in line with current trend, customer profiles and brand direction. To identify department key item blocks and ensure they are delivered. You will manage direct reports to ensure delivery of departmental objectives, working closely with the Buyers and Head of Design/ Buying.
- Clearly identifying department key items, colour, fabrics, details at the start of the season and ensure they are delivered in line with New Look customer profiles
- Working closely with Colour Manager to drive LNS appropriate colour palettes for the LNS areas.
- Driving new trends commercially through product ranges with the New Look brand handwriting and customer front of mind
- Strategically manages the critical path, juggling departments & prioritising from design concept through to final buying samples reacting to market changes and challenges
- Creating sketches, mood boards, trend presentations and catwalk reports giving clear and concise trend messages to Buying teams
- Sourcing new fabrications, trims overseas inspired from trend research and to share new ideas on fabrics with the wider Design team where relevant
- Working in synergy with Buying to build a strong fashion yet commercial range, sharing ideas and information with other product areas to ensure brand / product consistency
- Good influencing skills and self believe, to ensure that newness is delivered into the range, at the correct grading in collaboration with Buying.
- In-depth trend knowledge, being able to identify emerging trends and influence the business at critical points. Looking at opportunities to react quickly, with strong understanding of the supply base and how to get quick reads on product
- Developing the right product at the right time, in line with the departmental design strategy to meet customer requirements
- Monitoring, maintaining and actioning in-depth competitor analysis, and presenting ideas and new product opportunities to gain competitor advantage
- Sharing information where relevant on product, suppliers, best / worst sellers within business area and across the wider business
- Communicating effectively with all internal and external teams
- Working with QA to complete fit sessions in order to develop block and fit that reflects design direction and customer trends
- Driving trends and themes for each range period and the delivery of these in a timely manner, supporting the Head of Design / Design Manager
- Planning, development and inspiration trips with the Buyer in line with the critical path
- An excellent understanding of the New Look Customer
- Strong understanding of our Customer Insight and Market Share
- Actively contributing in trend and competitor analysis, making recommendations for changes or developments
- Ongoing familiarity of the competition’s product range
- Challenging current ways of working and practices across departments and functions, coming up with new initiatives to benefit the whole Business and implementing these
- Managing and developing the Team, displaying strong leadership skills to enable achievement of New Look’s strategy
- Giving 1:1 coaching on the job, transferring skills and knowledge to others
- Conducting regular catch ups and performance reviews, proactive in managing performance, ensuring constructive feedback, recognition and praise is given
- Driving the BMD vision into clear goals and objectives for your direct reports and their teams
- Applicant must be a Lingerie, Nightwear & Swim specialist, at least 6+ years in these areas.
- PC / Mac literate - Photoshop, Illustrator, Excel, Word, Adobe Suite
- Excellent spec skills using a mix of hand sketching, illustrator and Photoshop
- Able to present work in an exciting format to Heads Of and / or Directors, influencing buying decisions
- Management of workload according to the critical path
- An in-depth knowledge of the current competitive and inspirational market place
- Excellent interpersonal / communication skills
- Superb understanding of the department, and the ability to predict trend / key items with full conviction at the start of the season
- Ability to line manage, motivate and develop the team
- Ability to initiate, build and maintain strong relationships with Buying/Merchandising /QA
- Good influencing skills
- Ability to contribute to the bigger picture and Design department as a whole
- Flexible, adaptable and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Forward thinking in approach
- Presentation skills
- Previous experience as a Designer / Senior Designer within a major retailer / department within New Look / established supplier
- Fashion Qualification / Other degree desirable
Why New Look?
The amazing people, the love of fashion, the 4pm Friday finishes – there are so many reasons to love working at New Look. We prioritise development, offering training to support your progression, so you can be at your absolute best and achieve your goals. You’ll also receive these amazing benefits, to name only a few:
- 40% staff discount
- Monthly 25% off privilege vouchers for family and friends to enjoy
- Quarterly sample sales
- Season ticket loans
Apply now to find out more.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Designer (FTC 9 Months) - I Saw It First & Missguided
Closing 27 March 2023
- Frasers Group
- perm, remote, temp to perm
Senior Digital Designer
Closing 26 March 2023
£40,000 to 50,000 per annum
Graphic Designer (Digital)
Closing 3 February 2023
£Competitive salary plus benefits
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.