Product Design Manager, Communities
Discord is looking for a highly creative, hands-on and mission-driven Product Design Manager to lead product designers whose work helps our communities be as successful as possible.
Your role will be to manage, hire and inspire a growing team of passionate designers that have a meaningful impact at Discord. You'll help the team put the user first, coaching designers through our process, and focusing the team on the highest impact problems with the best solutions. You will be an essential member of design leadership. You thrive on collaborating and take great enjoyment in working to improve people, product, and process.
What you'll be doing:
- Develop a team of highly-engaged designers by coaching and instilling a sense of ownership and impact. Provide direction and guidance of product designers' output, promote partnerships and design process.
- You'll build close bonds with your corresponding engineering and product management leaders to influence product strategy and ensure world-class product execution.
- Apply your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar and ensure your team achieves extraordinary results at the [high technical level we set].
- Adjust team composition and eventually creating new teams to adapt to changing needs or tuning team dynamics.
- Make sound first-principle decisions around resourcing, and making the rationale clear to partners and team members.
- Partner with other design leaders to continuously improve the Design organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
- Partner with Engineering to develop core component frameworks and best-practices.
- Occasionally you will be hands-on with the design work, pitching in from time to time in order to support your team and keep them focused on deeper work — however this is primarily a management role (especially as the team grows larger).
What you should have:
- You have 2+ years of experience as a Design Manager and/or have led at least 2 Product Designers previously within a design team.
- 6+ years experience in multi-platform digital products as a Product Designer (or similar role). Especially fluent with mobile product development and consumer products, with experience using prototyping tools to demonstrate product concepts.
- A portfolio of work you've designed and shipped as well as examples of work you directed delivered by your team. Examples of how you have previously influenced your product teams, organizations or discipline.
- An enjoyment of people leadership. This includes recruiting, training and developing, organization design, and leading by example.
You thrive in ambiguous environments and get excited about figuring out strategies or processes to address them — both in product and internal team structures.
- A strong eye for craft. You can identify when work can benefit from more time or investment, identifying gaps in visual or interaction design.
- History of strong partnerships with engineering and product management leadership.
- You are a first principles thinker that can work with others to come up with pragmatic solutions.
- Designing yourself does not scare you, and you’re happy to jump in to help if needed. You are still a designer even if you don't do it all the time.
- You keep up with the industry trends and can assess new tools and techniques.
Benefits and Perks:
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures).
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends.
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days.
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits).
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid).
- Volunteer time off.
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups.
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees.
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Other jobs you may be interested in
Manager, UX Content Design
Closing 5 October 2022
- perm, from remote
Mid-Level UX Designer
Closing 10 October 2022
- RELX Group
- perm, from remote
Staff Experience Designer, Adobe Express, Authoring
Closing 4 October 2022
- perm, from remote
Want more Product Design Manager, Communities jobs?
Want to find more Design Manager jobs, Product Designer jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, Interface (UI) Designer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.