Product Design Lead
giffgaff is a little different to your ‘normal’ telecoms company. It’s a mobile business owned by Telefonica, but run by its members. Sounds interesting? It is.
We want people to love what they do and love what giffgaff is all about. It’s important to feel that way, especially in this energetic and competitive market. Us folk at giffgaff are a spirited and disruptive bunch, not every now and then but everyday, yes, even on Monday mornings. Each and every person, who comes and works at giffgaff must believe that we are a David amongst Goliaths in Mobile-land. And much like David, we are successfully making a positive change.
The Role and the Team:
Are you passionate about Design? Do you have knowledge and ambition to deliver creative design solutions? Do you enjoy working in a fast-paced environment?
You’ll be a champion of the giffgaff brand design and member experience, leading and mentoring a talented team of UI designers and UI engineers. You’ll be responsible to define and align design strategy with technical and business priorities. You’ll lead by example, being part of the Technical Leads team, working hands on to build a Design System in collaboration with the Product designers, Content managers and developers of each Agile product team.
You’ll have proven strong experience of working within a fast paced and agile environment, enabling discussions based upon best practices and data-driven insights and incorporate those into the Design System as standardised components with the documentation required for them to be reused by other teams, inside and outside giffgaff.
The candidate needs to be comfortable developing across a wide range of technologies and design including Brand, UX, UI and interaction design, accessibility, performance and be able to grasp complexities of content rich digital experiences. You will not just conform to an opinion; you will form your own expert opinion and clearly outline your vision in an articulate manner.
You will report directly to the Head of Product Design.
Key aspects of the role:
- Lead and mentor a team of talented UI designers and UI engineers, at the centre of our Product Design activity.
- Lead by example supporting your own team and enabling collaboration between your team, the Brand team and the rest of product teams.
- Enable external agency support for the design activities that require specialist skillsets not available in-house, like graphic design, animation, video, print, etc. And manage the demand and prioritisation of these requests.
- Define and align design strategy with technical and business priorities.
- Lead the creation of a Design System, creating and documenting standarised components based upon best practices (UX, design, coding and content) and the results of optimisation tests.
- Drive the adoption of the Design System across all giffgaff Product teams as a vehicle of brand consistency and increased delivery throughput, key factor for the application of Lean methodologies.
- Create an engaged collaborative group formed by developers, designers, content writers and stakeholders that contribute to the maintenance and adoption of the Design System, so it’s easy to use and adds value to the teams.
- Promote best UI coding and design practices and help the teams to create quality user interfaces.
- Coach and educate other developers in front end best practices through inductions, hands-on hackathons and other activities.
- Support the business and third parties in the use of the UI components.
- Work closely with the brand team to ensure that designs are on brand.
- Experiment and prototype - look for better ways of doing things.
- Have a strong desire to co-create and facilitate this type of collaboration within the team.
- Seek for early feedback.
Previous experience must have’s:
- Experience managing a team.
- Extensive experience with Mobile First, responsive web design and native apps.
- Understand business language and be able to speak data and analytics.
- Hands on experience with Sketch / Photoshop / Illustrator / designing in the browser.
- Excellent eye for design and attention to detail.
- Expert in website speed and performance.
- Expert in web accessibility.
- A natural problem solver.
- Confident verbal and visual communicator.
- Willing to build relationships with the wider team and manage stakeholder needs and expectations.
- Solid understanding of UX best practices.
- Continuous Integration with Jenkins, Test-Driven Development with Chai, JUnit, Karma, Mocha, & Sinon, Behaviour-Driven Development with Cucumber / Protractor, Agile Software Development and practical experience of Extreme Programming, Kanban & Scrum.
- Experience with AB testing and data analysis.
- Experience working on fast paced environments and being able to multi-task.
Previous experience nice-to-have’s:
- An understanding of the mobile telco market.
- Experience of Atlassian JIRA & Atlassian Confluence.
- Experience at scaling a design system and design ops.
- Experience with Jenkins, AWS & Docker.
This is a chance to work for one of the most sought after UK companies highly regarded for its innovative online collaborative model and recognised numerous times including uSwitch Which? and Mobile Industry awards.
In return for your outstanding efforts, you’ll be rewarded with a competitive salary and excellent benefits. At giffgaff, we believe that hard work should be supported and recognised.
Design Director - Brand - Sky Creative Agency
Closing 2 January 2020
- Sky Creative Agency
- £70,000 to 80,000 p/a
Digital Designer (CRM Focus)
Closing 13 December 2020
- Sweaty Betty
- competitive, plus benefits
Want more Product Design Lead jobs?
Want to find more Design Manager jobs, Product Designer jobs, App Designer jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, Interface (UI) Designer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs, Web Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.