Print Designer, Womenswear (9-12 Month FTC)
Ready to join one of the most successful fashion brands on the high street? Do you have a passion for fashion? Driven to achieve? United to win? If your answers are yes, we think you’ll love it here on the Island…
From our first shop in the remains of a North London bombsite in the 1940s, to now over 250 stores across the UK, Ireland and internationally. We are known for our stylish, affordable fashion and we like to shout-it loud.
Our Island community is everything and we are stronger together. Every Islander counts in making fashion a force for good and we value individuality and difference. Exceptional people have made River Island a success for over 70 years. Together we will continue to do so in the years ahead.
We are one team. We are the difference. We are River Island.
Our Design Team deliver stand-out, affordable fashion with the unique style and touches that underpin the River Island handwriting. As a Designer, you’ll start to set the direction for your categories, and will be accountable for full development cycle of products for inclusion in the final ranges, that represent key trends and drive commercial results, and present a balanced overall range for our customer.
- Deliver superior product from concept to completion that represents key trends and commercial opportunities, and create a balanced range for your category
- Through strong understanding of fabric, engineering, fit and quality.
- Through in-depth broad market and customer awareness and research, and a thorough understanding of the River Island brand, lead and shape Product Development discussions that address key trends and opportunities
- In developing broad industry and competitor awareness, identify and realise new product and design opportunities aligned to our overall Product strategy
- Understand sales history, sales and margin targets and range plans for your own area of accountability and division to ensure designs are aligned to deliver on commercial opportunities
- Through strong relationships and collaboration with Buying counterparts, suppliers, fabric mills and Fabric Sourcing identify and realise opportunities for newness, trends and sourcing
- Support new Design Talent through mentoring junior team members, creating learning opportunities and fostering inclusion and diversity of opinion
- Provide direction to Trainee and Assistant Designers, managing their workload to ensure they contribute effectively to the design process
Key Experience Required:
- Previous experience as a Junior Designer or equivalent is essential
- Qualifications or studies relevant to Design are essential
- Must be able to provide a portfolio of Design work
- Track record of mentoring and developing others
Job Role Competencies:
- Advanced Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop skills are essential
- Strong creative design skills
- Strong organisation skills
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Mentoring and development skills
- Commercial acumen
- Very strong interpersonal effectiveness and collaboration skills, emotional intelligence and self-management
- Good network in the market and industry
- Tenacious and resilient
- Passion for the RI brand and customer
The base location for this role is at our Head Office in West London. Hanger Lane is the nearest tube station on the central line, alternatively we have a free on-site car park should driving be an option.
And wait, did we mention the perks?
- Discount – Generous 50% staff discount so you can treat yourself!
- RI Rewards – More discounts and vouchers with Perks at Work
- Island culture – We have a gym, subsidised restaurant & Costa, and a bargain staff shop, all onsite!
- Work that stays at work – Flexible working is a given, on top of payday early finishes and Summer Fridays
- Health Benefits – Attractive healthcare cashplan, childcare vouchers, eye vouchers, ride to work scheme, EAP and more…
- Giver Island – Give as you earn scheme, a ‘Giver Island’ day each year and matched funding[AO1]
- Training on the job – Support with upskilling skills through on the job training and qualifications
- Pension - A contributory private pension scheme
- Holiday - 25 days paid holiday
We mentioned the discount, right?
At River Island we are committed to the safeguarding of all of our employees regardless of age or job role. We will fulfil our obligation under the Prevent duty which seeks to stop extremism and extremist views from materialising in our business. We promote and encourage the belief in British Values- including democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of different faiths and beliefs.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Closing 8 December 2021
- TMW Unlimited
- Covent Garden
Closing 28 October 2021
- £29,924 per annum
Trainee Assistant Designer, Graphics / Print
Closing 14 December 2021
- River Island
- £Competitive + Benefits
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.