Principle Experience Design Manager
The big question: why on earth should a Digital professional like you work for a 150-year-old retail chain? Because we’re on a journey. Changing the way we operate. Learning to think nimble.
Giving our teams the time and freedom they need to push boundaries within an ever-changing, ever-accelerating digital landscape, where we’re always testing, experimenting, and learning. Digital is at the heart of everything we do. Welcome to the home of Sainsbury’s Digital.
At Sainsbury’s we believe that the customer should be at the heart of everything we do which is why we have put digital at the centre of our vision, of being there for customers whenever, wherever and however they want and of serving more of our customers, more of the time.
Within Digital we are one organisation, driving brilliant experiences across all our brands, operating in agile teams and working seamlessly together to make the most of the exceptional knowledge, insight and talent that we have across the Division.
As a Principle Experience Design Manager you will lead a design team. The Experience Design team at Sainsbury’s is responsible for the design of digital products and services across the Sainsbury’s Food, Argos, Tu Clothing, Habitat, Nectar and Sainsbury’s Bank brands.
You will lead a team of multi-skilled, multi-platform designers with specialisms covering user interface design, user experience, creative design, accessibility and copywriting but with an emphasis on design direction. Your team will work alongside product and technology and data teams to deliver both innovation concepts and projects aligned to our digital vision.
What you need to do:
· Working closely with the brand expression team, set the direction of how the Sainsbury’s brands manifest themselves through user experience design.
· Make significant contribution to the Sainsbury’s experience design guidelines across our entire ecosystem driving an increase in alignment with our strategic brands requirements.
· Write and deliver creative briefs for internal (and occasionally external) teams of designers.
· Deliver exceptional, industry-leading designs across Sainsbury’s digital products and services.
· Direct all phases of design work from concept through to product development.
· Act as an ambassador for design across the Sainsbury’s Group; informing and engaging all divisions including marketing, retail, strategy and commercial on the value that exceptional design can bring to our customers.
· Inspire, motivate and mentor your design team.
· Manage the budgets and cost of resources within your team allocated to individual projects.
· Demonstrate the evolution of the Sainsbury’s family of brands through our customer digital touchpoints.
· Work with the experience design guidelines manager to evolve the experience design guidelines into a frame work including re-usable modules that are designed and built by our product teams during agile development sprints.
· Champion the creative vision for our digital customer experiences inside and outside of the organisation.
What you need to know:
· Extensive experience as a Lead Creative / Lead digital designer.
· Strong working knowledge of and passion for user interface design, interaction design and user-centred experience design.
· Excellent communication and presentation skills up to Director level.
· Experience managing the creative development process and creative team in an in-house product environment.
· Proven ability to manage and lead teams, priorities and resources across engagements, based on short and long-term needs.
· Proven ability to provide clear design direction and timely feedback to improve design processes to keep work on budget and schedule.
· An outstanding portfolio showcasing your design talent on all digital channels.
· Comprehensive awareness and interest in new platforms and technologies for digital channels and related mediums.
What you need to show:
· Strong thought leadership on creative direction.
· The ability to collaborate with both experts and generalists in a large retail environment.
· High levels of collaboration with both digital and technology colleagues and marketing colleagues.
· The willingness to drive business transformation by using design thinking.
· Experience of managing creative teams in large scale businesses or agencies.
· Strong mentoring and leadership skills.
· The ability to communicate the value of design in commercial terms.
What decisions I can make:
· Ownership and sign off of all user experience design across Sainsbury’s online and digital properties.
Resources available to me.
· The role-holder will work alongside other principal experience design managers as well as product and project managers, web analysts and experience designers, researchers, copywriters, developers and accessibility specialists. The role-holder will also have access to broader resources across the JS group.
· The size of this team may flex over time, and the role-holder will be tasked with managing the fit to capacity as various projects come on and off stream, including use of contractors to handle transient peaks in demand.
Closing 30 August 2020
- Oracle UK
Senior Footwear Designer, Mens - Maternity Cover
Closing 1 September 2020
- Ted Baker
Want more Principle Experience Design Manager jobs?
Want to find more Design Manager jobs, Product Designer jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, Interface (UI) Designer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.