Principal Visual Designer
We’re on a mission to make buying and selling cars an easy and straight-forward process. As a Principal Visual Designer, you will be key to enabling this for the millions of consumers and thousands of retailers that use our applications and sites each month. With experience in brand and visual design you will join our growing team of product and visual design specialists. You’ll be influential across our design systems and consumer, retailer, internal applications and websites.
You’ll be responsible for:
• Taking a level of ownership of the brand and how it translates into Auto Trader’s digital experiences.
• Defining how we apply colour, photography, typography, and illustration, and the detail of micro interactions across our product set.
• Continually improving our experiences and building brand /visual continuity across multiple platforms and touchpoints.
• Working with product managers, engineers, and researchers to guide our design system.
• Working closely with our brand partners and agencies to drive greater visual consistency between marketing and product.
• Contributing to strategic direction with the rest of the product team.
• Influencing, persuading, and evangelising design across the organisation.
How you’ll operate:
• Give and welcome feedback and critique from other team members and designers.
• Advocate high standards and be committed to deliver a best-in-class user experience.
• Be part of the broader design team - learning from and helping others, identifying and implementing improvements to the way we work.
• You will be a design leader, coach and mentor to other designers within the design team.
• Work at pace - having confidence to make decisions, knowing when to use qualitative or quantitative data and when it’s acceptable to rely on your own knowledge and experience.
• Be able to switch from high level, big picture thinking to the detail of user stories and UI designs.
• Experience with visual and brand design in a commercial product context; including typography, illustration, system thinking, motion and animation. We will be interested in seeing examples of this in your portfolio.
• Experience that includes designing digital products and design systems, not just websites. You will be able to evidence how your design has made an impact to a business.
• Comfortable working alongside developers & researchers to evolve and maintain design systems.
• Experience with iterative design, working closely with customers and peers from inception through implementation.
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously in an agile, fast-paced environment.
• Strong communication and influencing skills, and the ability to synthesise different perspectives.
• Experience and a passion for developing others, through either mentoring, coaching, or direct line management.
Although not a requirement, useful experience includes:
• In house/client-side experience.
• Designing digital products and design systems in both B2B and B2C contexts.
• Examples of successful work with brand partners and external agencies.
What we offer:
We offer a competitive salary with a great flexible benefits package which includes 28 days holiday, not including bank holidays – plus ½day afternoon office closures on Christmas and New Year’s Eve, pension, healthcare, life assurance and a whole host of other benefits. You’ll get a Mac and as much free tea, coffee and fresh fruit as you like. This role will require occasional travel to our London Kings Cross office.
Personal development is an essential part of working at Auto Trader – we’ll work with you to create a plan for growth, and support you to learn, discover, and improve. Our design community attend & speak at conferences, we host external meet-ups in our event space and offer masterclasses focusing on communication, team working and leadership. As you can see, it’s not limited to what you learn at your desk. If we sound like the kind of place for you then we would love to hear from you.
Senior UX Researcher
Closing 1 September 2020
Closing 16 August 2020
Want more Principal Visual Designer jobs?
Want to find more Branding Designer jobs, Graphic Designer jobs, Product Designer jobs, App Designer jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, Interface (UI) Designer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs, Visualiser - Digital jobs, Web Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.