Picture Editor Apprentice
THE C4 APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAMME:
If you are looking for an opportunity to gain work experience and a qualification, then an apprenticeship at Channel 4 might be for you.
Our Apprenticeships are full-time, with four days per week spent working in a C4 department and one day per week completing the formal learning parts of the apprenticeship.
The formal training provided will consist of workshops, tutorials, webinars, coaching and in some cases residential boot camps. The training is dependent on the qualification your apprenticeship offers and will be explained in detail by the training provider before you officially begin the course. You can read more about the qualification being offered for this apprenticeship below.
The programme aims to offer opportunities to those currently underrepresented in the TV industry, so we are particularly keen to hear from Deaf and/or disabled people, ethnically diverse people and people from lower socio-economic groups.
Am I eligible to apply?
You must be 18 years old or over at the time the scheme starts to apply. There is no upper age limit.
The Pictures Team sits within the Marketing department and is responsible for all of Channel 4’s imaging needs. It is responsible for the sourcing, editing, production and distribution of images for use across internal and external platforms to
promote Channel 4, including All 4, third-party platforms, social media, the external media, and wider corporate use.
The team of picture editors, working alongside a range of internal and external stakeholders, create high-quality images that reflect the content and values of Channel 4 programming. These images will promote Channel 4 shows on the All 4 platform and third-party platforms such as Apple TV, Amazon Fire and Sky.
- Crop and edit Channel 4 imagery to meet the various internal and external delivery specifications
- Design and create eye catching imagery utilising existing Channel 4 images as a basis
- Caption, tag and store created images in the team’s asset management system
- Manage requests from Channel 4 colleagues for the supply of images
- Liaise with and supply images to external picture desks
- Work to best practice guidelines
- Assist Picture Commissioners in the creative development of ideas for photoshoots
- Work on Channel 4 design projects such as posters, invites and press packs
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
As part of the application process, you’ll be asked to tell us how you meet the essential criteria listed below. When answering this question think about examples from your experience so far, this doesn’t need to be professional experience but could be academic, from volunteering or a part-time job.
We’ve provided some examples beside the first four criteria of experience that could demonstrate you have these skills. Please note you do not need to use these examples; they are just here for guidance, and you should draw from your own personal experiences.
- Verbal and written communication skills - Verbal - e.g. experience of dealing with customers or working as part of a team. Written – e.g. writing emails, completing an application form or essay, or if you have a hobby that involves creative writing.
- Attention to detail - e.g. Cashing up on tills or proofreading coursework.
- Organisation skills and ability to prioritise tasks - e.g. Planning events whether personal or for professional purposes, as well as managing work life balance, for example working whilst doing coursework/exams.
- An understanding of and a passion for Channel 4's remit
- Passion for photography and has an interest in design / image creation
- Able to critically assess imagery and offer suggestions on ways to improve images
- Comfortable setting yourself small creative challenges
- Basic knowledge of Adobe CC suite (desirable)
ALTERNATIVE APPLICATION FORMATS:
If you are unable to complete the Apprentice application, we are happy to consider alternative formats of the application form.
For example, you could arrange a phone call with 4Skills for you to speak your answers and a member of the team can scribe, or if you’d like to create a five minute YouTube video/ voice recording, these are also options available. If you have a different alternative, we really welcome your suggestions to ensure you have a fair chance of applying.
If you need to relocate in order to take up this opportunity, we can offer you support towards the financial costs of moving. This includes a contribution towards your deposit and first months’ rent, plus visits to your new city to look for accommodation.
Application questions to completeTo complete your application please provide a response to the below application questions, you can upload your response to the application questions as an attachment when submitting your application. This can be attached to your application as a PDF or Word document.
- Referring to the essential criteria listed on the job description, (which are all skills and experiences we deem important to thrive as a C4 apprentice), please use examples to demonstrate how you meet these (feel free to draw on academic, personal, and professional experiences). (500 words max)
- Can you share with us what representation and inclusion mean to you and why you think they’re important? (300 words max)
- Take a look at the Channel 4 Press website (https://www.channel4.com/press/images) to pick an image or a couple of images, and tell us what made them stand out to you. Please include this image/images in your additional questions submission. (150 words max)
- Tell us about a recent image you saw anywhere that really stood out to you and why? Please include this image in your additional questions submission. (This image can be absolutely anything and should not relate to Channel 4) (150 words max)
- Sum yourself up in a tweet (280 characters max)
There are a million reasons why it’s great to work at Channel 4, here are just a few of the perks for you:
• 26 days annual leave (including a day off for your birthday)
• Company funded Private Medical Insurance
• A generous Group Personal Pension
• Access to our flexible benefits scheme including dental, travel insurance, health screenings and more!
Other jobs you may be interested in
Junior Image Retoucher
Closing 13 March 2023
£20,000 to 25,000 per annum
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.