We have recently announced exciting news confirming significant expansion of our digital network of regional news brands. We are committing to 46 journalists into permanent positions and seven new launches in 2020, so there really hasn’t been a better time to join us! As part of this, we’re looking for a photojournalist able to tell compelling stories that drive online engagement through pictures and video. Based in Sheffield. you’ll spend your time out in the patch finding captivating, interesting and engaging images to share with readers online and on social media. You will be full of ideas for telling stories online through pictures and video, and tuned in to the kind of content which will drive audience through search and social media.Your job will be to source and create brilliant images and video which engage readers and drive engagement and sharing. You’ll play an active part in helping your content reach its audience by sharing it in the right places and engaging with readers on social media.
We are Reach because it's what we do:
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 620 million newspapers, with 5.8 million readers of one of our brands each month. Our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, with 8.1 billion page views per year.
- Find and capture high-quality, compelling, accurately captioned pictures and video to agreed deadlines as directed by the digital editor and content desk.
- Make and nurture contacts in your geographic area, acting as an ambassador for the brand when out and about.
- Shoot images and video in a way which is appropriate to the brand and meets requirements for audience engagement targets and KPIs .
- Edit video, audio and images where required.
- Support live coverage of news events as and when required by sharing images and video from mobile phone.
- Shoot video, audio and pictures using company iPhone, filming, editing and sharing from the field.
- Continually suggest and generate ideas for picture galleries and video packages which will deliver audience engagement on digital and social platforms.
- Be active on social media, in line with Reach policies, to build audiences and communities and ensure that content links are regularly shared on social platforms.
- Ensure content is produced with accurate and correct metadata at all times including all picture and video captions.
- Ensure brand values are maintained and that digital publishing best practice is adhered to.
- Create and share content in a way which meets standards set by the business in terms of quality, consistency, legal accuracy and IPSO compliance.
The Ideal Candidate:
• You will be a trained photographer or videographer with experience of working in the media.
• Creative and energetic, with excellent skills at building relationships with subjects.
• Proven ability to shoot and edit video for publication online.
• Understanding of how content is shared and promoted through social media.
• Reach or equivalent journalist qualification (or relevant time-served experience).
• Excellent at taking a wide range of images with a quality portfolio.
• An inquiring mind and a fascination with people.
• Ability to shoot and edit video.
• Comfortable at getting out and about and making contacts.
• Good understanding of how content is shared and promoted through social media.
• Able to take instruction as well as manage own workload efficiently.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Energy, enthusiasm and self-motivation.
• Ability to work quickly and effectively under deadline pressure.
• Ability to work well as part of a team.
• Flexible approach to shifts and ability to work remotely with a hot desk in office.
• Up-to-date legal and IPSO Code knowledge.
• Full driving licence.
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays), bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include a holiday purchase scheme, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry’s PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts.
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.
On submitting your application you should receive a confirmation email - if you do not please contact us.
Want more Photojournalist (Sheffield) jobs?
Want to find more Photo Editor jobs, Photo Stylist jobs, Photographer jobs, Picture Researcher jobs, Photojournalist jobs, Picture Editor jobs, Photographer - Film jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.