Motion Designer II
Do you put human needs and motivations at the center of your design thinking? Are you delighted when the gadgets in your world take care of the little things for you? Do you see technology as a tool for amplifying and enhancing the things that make us human--giving us superpowers? The Windows and Devices Experience & Insights team is a team of multidisciplinary designers working to make technology that integrates seamlessly into the human world. We're at the forefront of defining the design agenda and design language for Microsoft--and we're hiring!
Our studios are large, modern, open, spaces where designers, managers, and producers work collaboratively to craft experiences that integrate content, software, hardware, and services. Windows, Education, Mobility, Surface Hub, Microsoft Account, microsoft.com, and more stuff that we can't talk about. Every studio partners with top-notch teams of program managers, developers, producers, and researchers who advise on release dates, technological challenges, and customer feedback. If coding constraints are just another piece of the design puzzle for you, and you're excited about expanding your design skills across visual, interaction, and motion design--we want to talk to you.
This role is in the MMX (Mobile) studio on the motion design team which supports both the apps, like Launcher, mobile Edge, OneNote etc, as well as special new projects and initiatives that come out of this group.
Our goal in MMX is to create customer-first, mobile-first experiences that bridge to an ecosystem of devices and integrate seamlessly with other Microsoft apps/services.
With new builds of our products being launched every month, we are looking for fast-paced, highly creative motion designers who possess technical know-how and strong motion design skills. We also require tight communication with PM and developers in order to meet our fast shipping cadence..
Who we're looking for:
- You are passionate about creating beautiful, crafted, meaningful interfaces and interactions with clarity and precision. You understand the critical role that motion design plays as part of user experience.
- You have a strong grounding in a user centered design process and leverage research insights to identify important user needs, explore and iterate to define possible solutions to those problems and then validate your designs with users.
- You collaborate well with team members across multiple disciplines from Design, Engineering, and Business to understand the opportunities and right problems to solve for, and then find elegant, practical solutions. You have a pixel-perfect attention to detail in your process and the implementation of your work in the finished product. Your dedication to craftsmanship in product is of the highest order.
- You’re a clear and articulate communicator. You’re deliberate about your design approach, and you rely on feedback from the team and users to iterate. You thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. You’re ready to take ownership of the design of a complex, growing product. You show great empathy for your audience.
- Your main consideration is the overall product experience. Everything you do will be to improve the lives of our users.
What you'll do:
- Work with product managers to define what we should build.
- Create interactive mockups and lightweight prototypes to communicate and validate design decisions.
- Participate in the design, observation, and analysis of user research.
- Work closely with engineers to ensure the design in implemented effectively and iterate in code to refine the design and respond to user feedback.
You should have:
- A current online portfolio. Please provide a link in your application.
- At least 2 years of experience designing and shipping software.
- Fluency with designing phone & larger screen experiences. Most of our users cross between multiple devices.
- A degree in Interaction Design, HCI or equivalent experience.
- Consistently drive and contribute to the overall creative acumen and growth of the MMX Studio.
- Partnering with the other team members to create video concepts that visually express attributes of our apps.
- Quickly iterating on multiple video solutions and campaign concepts.
- Executing same-day requests while balancing assignments with longer deadlines.
- Effectively balancing issues around brand, design, business partner needs.
- Overseeing video editing, motion graphics execution while driving Studio priorities with agency partners and vendor team.
- Driving the execution of design and delivering to deadlines in a self-directed manner.
- Experience with creating best-in-class mobile, web social video assets based on insights and the latest design and technology trends.
- Project management, ensuring all elements are delivered on time.
- Collaborating and maintaining partner relationships.
- Outstanding portfolio with exceptional graphic motion and editing ability.
- Outstanding editing ability on long and short sequence and social video properties.
- Strong understanding of design principles, layout, typography and color theory.
- Refined sense of motion and animation particularly relating to typography and illustration.
- Passion for creating breakthrough visual and creative campaign.
- Ability to manage and oversee agency and motion graphic and video editing vendor team.
- Knowledge and awareness of current design trends and ability to work within brand guidelines.
- Expertise in Adobe CS, Adobe After Effects, Cinema 4D (Maya and Vizrt a plus).
- Excellent presentation skills and willingness to lean in and receive constructive feedback.
- Ability and comfort in presenting ideas to stakeholders, and business partners.
- BA in Graphic Design/communications or equivalent is preferred.
- 5+ years of consistent experience working in design, motion graphics, editing and production.
- 5+ years Fortune 500 client, agency or in-house marketing communications experience.
- Applicants that do not provide a portfolio of relevant work will not be considered.
- Expert in expert in creating branded 2D and 3D motion graphics.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Closing 15 February 2020
- NBCUniversal International
- New York
Corporate Presentation Designer
Closing 18 February 2020
- Costa Mesa
Want more Motion Designer II jobs?
Want to find more Digital Animator jobs, 2D Animator jobs, 3D Animator jobs, Animation Producer jobs, Animator jobs, CG Animator jobs, Character Animator jobs, Motion Graphics Designer jobs, Special Effects Animator jobs, Special Effects Artist jobs, Special Effects Supervisor jobs, Visual Effects jobs, Visual Effects (VFX) Supervisor jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.