Managing Editor - The New York TimesThis job listing has expired
Oversees the dynamic and fast-paced 40-person editing and production operation in Gainesville, FL, for the New York Times News Services Division. Management can require off-hours phone calls and emails due to the continuous news cycle and worldwide client base. The editing center reports to the Shared Services Center in Norfolk, VA, with a dotted line to the News Services Division in New York, NY.
- Ensure positive working relationships among the editing center, the editorial team in New York and the administrative operation in Norfolk, VA. Serve as primary contact between the three operations.
- Develop and implement practices, in conjunction with the editorial team in New York, to ensure the timely delivery of New York Times products to clients/customers around the world.
- Ensure that work by the editing center meets Times standards and upholds the Times brand.
- Address staffing needs and issues, including recruitment, training, culture and morale.
- Communicate changes proactively with Gainesville staff and partners in New York and Norfolk.
- Create and manage a yearly budget with the President of the Shared Services Center.
- Anticipate production, staffing and workflow issues and provide appropriate and timely feedback to the editing staff.
- Be adept at use of the various content management/information systems of The New York Times and work to resolve any technological issues that arise at the editing center.
- As needed, travel to conferences to represent The New York Times.
- Work on projects and sit on committees with other members of the News Services Division, as needed.
- Think strategically about current and potential editorial opportunities.
- Implement new initiatives in both the print and digital areas of the operation.
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of the Gainesville staff.
- Perform administrative tasks, including scheduling for a 365-day operation, ordering supplies, paying bills, etc., and any tasks required by the President of the Shared Services Center.
- 10 years of experience in journalism leadership.
- Strong editing and/or production skills.
- Strong people management skills.
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.
Sorry this job has been removed from Creativepool
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.