Look Dev Technical Director
Look Dev Technical Directors are responsible for producing high-quality look dev and shading for our CG Assets, needing only initial direction and guidance from their Supervisors. Have the flexibility of moving into lighting shot production, producing high end lighting during show production.
- Scrutinise the colours and directions of all light sources in the real-world scene and replicates them in CG.
- Design and create the lighting and the look of computer generated objects and scenes.
- Responsible for the final CG scene assembly, lighting and rendering of very complex shots.
- Works closely with Lighting Supervisors and CG Supervisors to determine the best approach to solving CG challenges and developing the final look.
- Creates lighting set ups and/or works within current set ups.
- Creates efficient rendering setups in order to optimise render farm usage.
- Stays on schedule and meets set deadlines while maintaining the highest level of work quality.
- Ensures there is ongoing communication with Production and Leads regarding schedules and deadlines.
- Helps mentor Junior Artists within the Lighting/Look Dev team.
- Create & maintain simple materials using the provided shading templates.
- Create & maintain custom hero materials and shading networks when necessary.
- Deep understanding of real world materials.
- Understanding of energy conservation principles.
- Deep understanding of Physically based rendering and shader models.
- Ability to work and communicate with texture and groom artists to get the best possible results.
- Ability to build and maintain complex shading networks with artist usability and user-interface support in mind.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Graphics or equivalent or previous professional experience in a related field.
Required Skills / Competencies:
- Experience with real-world lighting and photography.
- Demonstrable advanced Lighting and Rendering experience within a VFX environment.
- Previous experience performing shot Look Dev tasks.
- Exhibits excellent listening and communication skills, able to receive direction and criticism.
- Has a broad understanding of modern shading models.
- Has an in-depth understanding of PBR (physically based rendering).
- Demonstrates the ability to help and teach more junior-level artists.
- Demonstrates the ability to prioritise tasks, manages time very well, provides everyone with accurate time estimates on shot task completion.
- Demonstrates excellent presentation/communication skills in dailies/shot review by clearly and briefly outlining what has been accomplished and what should be addressed next in a shot.
- Demonstrates the ability to work collaboratively within a team environment.
- Can write plug-ins, set-up sequences, debug simulations and write set up and Renderman surface shaders with proficiency.
- Demonstrates the ability to work with minimal supervision to complete a shot.
- A thorough understanding of the vfx pipeline from modelling through animation, texturing, rendering and compositing.
- Ability to pick-up new techniques and the ability to learn new software quickly and easily.
Required Technical Skills / Competencies:
- Knowledge of Katana is essential, Maya and Zeno beneficial.
- A good understanding of texturing and lighting.
- Knowledge of python and/or MEL scripting is essential.
- Strong interest in shading technologies.
- At ease with Linux based operating systems.
- Good understanding of physically plausible shading techniques.
- In depth knowledge in building shading networks in katana using Renderman.
- Scripting ability beneficial.
- Excellent knowledge of Renderman and other unbiased rendering systems.
- Good knowledge of other disciplines within VFX including modelling, textures, grooming, layout & compositing.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Lead/Principal Technical Artist
Closing 31 August 2020
Closing 31 August 2020
Want more Look Dev Technical Director jobs?
Want to find more Technical Director jobs, CG Lighter jobs, CG Modeller jobs, CG Painter jobs, CG Renderer jobs, CG Rigger jobs, CG Textures jobs, Lighting Supervisor jobs, Lighting TD jobs, Texture Artist/Texture Painter jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.