Lead UX Designer
About the role:
We are looking for a Design Lead who can see the possibility in every opportunity - from large transformational projects on big budgets to the small incremental quick wins that will provide millions of our customers with immediate improvements. Together with our design team you will help to develop long term vision along with the strategy for the future of design in Tesco.
You will be part of a team that design global enterprise tools and services, which hundreds of thousands of our Colleagues and external Supplier Partners use every day to communicate and do business with Tesco.
In this role, you will be strategic yet hands-on, you have a passion for craft and design and most of all clear vision of the future for user experience. You will guide our future research, develop design processes and inspire your team to together push the boundaries of what’s possible. You will be a mentor for talented members of your team, collaborate with leaders of Product, Data Science and Engineering teams to create innovative experiences across all of Tesco products.
As a design lead, you will be passionate about delivering exceptional customer experiences and inspiring others to follow suit. You’ll be a natural problem solver who is goal-oriented, innately creative and an excellent communicator and collaborator. Always being insights and data driven with extensive demonstrated experience of applying user centered design methods throughout the product discovery and delivery cycle. You will be challenging user experience problems that impact our colleagues and supplier partners globally, pushing the boundaries of design whilst establishing best practices and delivering coherent and consistent end-to-end experiences across our Enterprise Tools and services. Identifying user needs and opportunities that help define and drive the enterprise tools product vision and strategy across the business.
You will be responsible for:
- Lead UX design for some of Tesco’s most important projects.
- Provide leadership, direction and mentorship for a team of Designers; lead creative and holistic thinking across diverse product releases, platforms and devices.
- Empower your team to define, influence, and drive the user experience vision for projects through design and development.
- Be ultimately responsible for all design output from your team. Review and provide feedback for artifacts generated by your team.
- Work with multidisciplinary teams across the business to Identify core customer missions, create user journeys and experiences that let our customers use our products seamlessly.
- In addition, work across the company’s multi-platform sites: and support experiences developed based on responsive design principles while contributing in development of our design system.
- This role will best suit an individual who embraces unique skillsets of each team member and seeks team effort over individual achievements, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
You will need:
You’ll need to have demonstrated experience of:
- Expertise in research, conceptual design, prototyping, detailed design, user testing, and implementation.
- Solid understanding of web technologies and software development life cycle would be a great advantage (no coding required).
- Expertise in creating quick sketches, paper prototypes and translating them to fully functional prototypes that are used throughout our design process to validate your solutions against customer needs while ensuring your solutions are technically feasible.
- Experience with data visualisations, dashboards and the design of business intelligence tools would be desirable, but not essential.
- Improve research, design, and development processes to gain efficiency, remove obstacles, and simplify problems.
- Work in partnership with Product Managers, Researchers and Engineering to align design vision and activities with our business goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in Interaction Design, Computer Interaction, Behavioral Psychology or other related field.
- 5+ years of experience.
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop online, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world.
Through one of the most ambitious retail programmes ever undertaken, we aim to become the world's best multi-channel retailer too. We want our customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we’re finding bigger and better ways to provide it.
Everything is underpinned by our continuous drive for the best tools and technology to deliver our vision. We’re driving innovation and transforming our IT to become the world’s leading e-commerce business.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; Passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
What’s in it for you:
- An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary.
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco.
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day.
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate.
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay.
- Buy As You Earn Scheme which allows you to buy Tesco shares and save tax after 3 months of service.
- Save As You Earn Scheme which gives you the opportunity to save direct from your pay for three or five years with the option of using your savings to buy Tesco shares at a discounted price after 1 year of service.
- Access to Tesco Learning and Development Academy, Safari Books and Pluralsight Technology Learning Platform.
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank.
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses.
- Cycle to work and Car Share Schemes.
Our office application process varies depending on the role and the level of experience needed.
Closing 7 September 2019
- Paper & Pixels
Digital Designer - Contract
Closing 12 September 2019
- Preferred Choice Limited
- temp to perm
- £250 to 320 p/a
Want more Lead UX Designer jobs?
Want to find more Product Designer jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, Interface (UI) Designer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs, Web Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.