Lead Sound Designer
This is an exciting opportunity to join the in-house Total War audio department as a Lead Sound Designer, based at our high spec audio suites within our studio in Horsham, West Sussex.
In this role, and as part of a centralised team, the Lead Sound Designer will craft compelling audio experiences across varied exciting projects. They will also lead and oversee sound design efforts, their implementations, and technical advancements.
This is a highly collaborative role working with our Audio Director, sound designers, technicians, programmers, and key stakeholders within the audio department and development teams, delivering outstanding audio for the Total War brand.
Please note: This position is a game ‘sound designer’ role. It does not involve any music production, or music related sound design.
As Lead Sound Designer, you will lead a team of sound designers to bring the best of the abilities to the fore with their output on assigned projects. You will cascade and communicate the audio direction to the team, ensuring the game is fully supported through the varied creative and technical endeavours of the sound design team.
On a day-to-day basis you will:
- Oversee and take responsibility for the scoping, resourcing, mentoring and the creative and technical output of your team
- Prioritise workloads and planning milestones, as well as working with Development Managers to co-ordinate the team efforts to deliver on time
- Be an expert in sound effects production, capable of producing world class assets and will lead your team by example, ensuring the highest calibre of audio for the Total War brand
- Set benchmarks for our quality and train the internal and external teams on usage of tools
- Plan, oversee, and partake in the implementation of all sound design content for your projects, having oversight on all technical areas, ensuring each are fully optimised
- Be a driver of technology developments and the latest implementation techniques on your projects and supporting tools, helping ensure that Total War products are at the forefront of gaming audio
- Get involved in a wide range of activities above and beyond creative/technical production and task management, looking for opportunities to improve workflow, pipelines, audio systems documentation, recruitment, and training, making recommendations and reports for, and aligning on strategy with the Audio Director
- Mix audio content into games with an expert hand, using in-house tools and other 3rd party software and liaise with internal quality assurance staff and Development Managers to ensure all aspects of your teams’ content is fully tested
- Be a pro-active problem solver, highly organised and solution focused with excellent communication skills and the ability to cascade direction to the team
Knowledge, Skill and Experience:
- Experience in a sound design/audio leadership role in a video game development team
- Experience mentoring sound designers, providing constructive feedback and shaping career progression and training
- Able to work pragmatically and multi-task projects; be able to plan and schedule sound design efforts while remaining quality focused adhering to deadlines
- Expert level creative sound design skills, with strong audio post-production techniques to commercial standards and high level of technical standards with the ability to plan and deliver whole systems while being quick to master new in-house tools and software for integrating/mixing content
- A wide experience of implementing audio (using commercial or in-house tools)
- Strong, structured, and logical documentation skills
- Passionate about audio and interactive entertainment
- ProTools or Reaper experience to advanced level
- Experienced Wwise user
- Experience programming software or hardware synthesizers
- Experience mixing in 5.1 and multi-channel formats
- Knowledge and familiarity of Total War brand
Please note that all audio applicants are required to submit a sound design show reel in support of their application, demonstrating excellence and creativity with sound design. Unfortunately, applications cannot be progressed without an accompanying show reel.
Creative Assembly is about the right people making the best games. We are united through our values; Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust.
We house many talented people, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life.
Winner of multiple Best Place to Work Awards, we have studio sites in Horsham UK and Sofia Bulgaria, including a number of bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture site.
Currently we are working fully remotely, and we continue to assess the COVID-19 situation with the safety of our staff our number one priority. We are still actively recruiting and onboarding new staff each week. Our expert IT and HR teams will set you up with everything you need to join remotely whether you will need to relocate to the UK (or within the UK) now, or at a later date.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Bespoke relocation package for you and your dependents, with support throughout the process from our dedicated Relocation Specialists
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave, private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, and all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Join our award-winning education and social responsibility programme; the Legacy Project, as an industry ambassador to mentor and educate others
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including; SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Opportunity to join our Diversity and Inclusion Network – an employee-led group
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme with free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen*
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme and onsite confidential sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy*
- Discounts for home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers, and many local businesses including estate agents
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer Festival, Christmas Party plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have Cinema days and wrap parties for game releases*
- Studio community activities such as free Japanese lessons, life drawing, creative writing, Pilates, Walking Challenges, Couch to 5k, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more*
*some of the above in-studio benefits are on hold while we work remotely during COVID-19.
Our studio sites have disabled access. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Sound Designer - Capital
Closing 20 December 2021
Lead Audio Designer [New IP]
Closing 11 December 2021
- Royal Leamington Spa
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.