Lead Environment Artist
Sony PlayStation’s Visual Arts Services Group (VASG) on our San Diego campus provides world-class content, development and services to Worldwide Studios. We offer a full-service production studio with an emphasis in art and animation, as well as previsualization, cinematics, character creation, motion capture, software development, and face/body scanning, tracking and solving.
We are looking for a highly talented, motivated and creative Lead Environment Artist to work on an unannounced AAA project at Sony San Diego. In this role, you will define workflows & process and help build an internal Environment pipeline. You will assist with staffing, scheduling and budgeting of Environment Assets.
Our team is always at the cutting edge of technology and partners with the industry’s best minds and companies: Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studios, Guerrilla Games, Japan Studios, and other Sony PlayStation first-party studios. This is your opportunity to work closely with game and film industry professionals from all over the world and under one roof!
Why work when you can play? This is life at PlayStation!
- Lead a team of environment artist to create AAA quality game environments.
- Help build and mentor a world class environment team.
- Manage environments from grey box to final engine implementation including geometry, shaders, textures, and engine-specific elements.
- Create in-game art assets with a strong aesthetics and understanding of form, structure, construction, composition, light and color design.
- Use a strong sense of environmental storytelling and motivated-design to set dress levels with an eye to the visual benchmark and gameplay elements.
- Provide daily reviews and concise feedback to maintain art quality standard, technical specifications, memory budget and game design for all levels.
- Work with Art Director to set the golden standard across all environments.
- Work with technical lead to improve and optimize levels and in-game performance.
- Collaborate with internal outsourcing managers for asset creation and delivery.
Required Experience and Skill:
- Strong portfolio demonstrating realistic environments.
- Deep understanding of game environment modeling pipeline.
- An eye for high quality and efficient organic and inorganic game art asset creation including vehicles, plants, geological features and buildings.
- An expert level understanding of Maya, Photoshop, Substance Designer/Painter and/or any relevant software.
- Advanced knowledge of physically based rendering (PBR, PBM, PBL).
- Ability to use in-game technology to finalize the look of assets and environments.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A passion and understanding of world building.
- 7+ years’ experience as a game artist
- Shipped at least one AAA title as a team lead.
- Experience working with external outsource vendors (OS).
- Understanding of the technical and artistic aspects of level lighting.
- Mari, Marvelous Designer, Vegetation creation tools experience a plus.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
Product Designer - Studio XD
Closing 20 June 2019
- Los Gatos
- $20,000 to 30,000 p/a
Digital Marketing Coordinator
Closing 20 June 2019
- New York
- $20,000 to 30,000 p/a
Want more Lead Environment Artist jobs?
Want to find more 3D Artist jobs, Graphic Designer jobs, Visualiser - 3D jobs, 3D Interior Designer jobs, 3D Designer jobs, 3D Modeller jobs, Games Designer jobs, Gaming Artist jobs, Gaming Creative Manager jobs, Gaming Design Manager jobs, 3D Animator jobs, CG Modeller jobs, Graphic Designer - Production jobs, Model Maker jobs, Motion Graphics Designer jobs, Motion Graphics Editor jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.