Lead Character Artist
Every great story has a new beginning, and yours starts here.
Welcome to Warner Bros. Discovery… the stuff dreams are made of.
Who We Are…
When we say, “the stuff dreams are made of,” we’re not just referring to the world of wizards, dragons and superheroes, or even to the wonders of Planet Earth. Behind WBD’s vast portfolio of iconic content and beloved brands, are the storytellers bringing our characters to life, the creators bringing them to your living rooms and the dreamers creating what’s next…
From brilliant creatives, to technology trailblazers, across the globe, WBD offers career defining opportunities, thoughtfully curated benefits, and the tools to explore and grow into your best selves. Here you are supported, here you are celebrated, here you can thrive.
TT Games was acquired by Warner Bros. in 2007 and went on to develop the hit LEGO games franchise. The company is proud to continue its mission to be the leading publisher of interactive entertainment for young gamers and their families.
Your New Role...
As Lead Character Artist, you will be directly responsible for the project-specific throughput and quality of work delivered by the character art team. This will include; assuring the team with your creative & technical direction through review & feedback, managing the technical requirements on a per-project basis, remaining agile by appropriate delegation through the team and ensuring the team are well equipped to produce high quality content, contributing to TT Games studio’s pursuit to develop excellent, memorable video games.
Your Role Responsibilities...
- Creative and Technical Direction of a team of Character Artists.
- Work closely with the Head of Characters and Art Director to ensure the creation and implementation of character art to project specific requirements.
- Conduct regular Art Reviews and liaise with External Partners to ensure approved content meets both Project and IP specific requirements.
- Work closely with Production in coordinating character art resources, schedules and priorities based on project needs.
- Organise and manage effectively by delegating work and monitoring output.
- Ensure a high benchmark is set and retained by the team for Artistic results, Delivery of Milestones, Encouraging effective communication and a professional attitude.
- Work closely with all departments in pipeline to ensure efficiency and quality of results that are optimised appropriately for intended platforms.
- Identify and enter relevant issues into JIRA, ensuring sufficient information is given.
- Provide feedback on tools and working with the programming department to ensure tools provided are as accessible and productive as possible.
Line Management Responsibilities:
- Identifying and ensuring all employee relations matters for a team of Character Artist (including absence, performance, and conduct).
- Adhering to Company policies and procedures in liaison with Human Resources.
- Ability to establish trust within an open team structure.
- Able to provide structured critic to steer and reach the end goal.
- Supporting the recruitment of new employees in conjunction with Human Resources.
- Regularly reviewing employee performance through appraisals and 1-2-1’s to ensure performance targets and expected behaviours are delivered.
- Identify and arrange any required on-the-job training and coaching.
- Ensure sufficient documentation within the Character Artist discipline is maintained.
Qualifications & Experience...
- Shipped AAA titles in the role of Lead with Project experience throughout preproduction to delivery.
- Keen interest in managerial skills, overseeing the work of other team members and mentoring and developing them.
- Authoritative and confident with Character Art direction.
- Excellent artistic eye for quality and ability to ensure consistency in results.
- Excellent communication and organisation skills to manage relationships at all levels within the Company and externally.
- Able to make decisions and manage under pressure while adhering to strict deadlines.
- Practical and methodical approach to both technical and creative problem-solving.
- Excellent understanding and proficient use of ZBrush, Maya, Substance Painter & Unreal Engine 4.
- Development experience and understanding of the technical requirements and limitations of providing Character Art for use in an Unreal Engine 4>AAA Game.
- Strong traditional Art skills a plus.
- Working knowledge and developing expertise in Unreal Engine 5 desirable.
- Experience implementing and maintaining development pipelines preferred.
- Practical & Active interest in emerging Software and technologies related to meeting the required High Quality of Character Art.
- Scripting capability for pipeline / tools efficiency a plus.
- Relevant degree or equivalent level qualification desirable.
About TT Games Studios:
Responsible for the best-selling and BAFTA-winning LEGO videogame series, TT Games Studios is in the business of delighting children and grown-ups alike. With over 30 years of success behind our studio, and as a valued part of Warner Bros since 2007, we have incredibly exciting plans for future titles based on the world's biggest entertainment properties.
We are always on the lookout for bright, talented, and motivated people to join our AAA studio and to be part of everything we do, because we know it is the talent and dedication of our employees that has made our 30 years of success possible.
TT Games Studios offers successful candidates a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. Our work environment is inclusive, relaxed, and friendly – one of the best things about working here is our fantastic people!
We expect high levels of ambition and innovation from our colleagues and an ability to flourish within the dynamic entertainment industry in which the company operates.
How We Get Things Done…
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits…
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, disability or any other category protected by law.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Senior Concept Artist
Closing 24 May 2023
- Electronic Arts
- perm, freelance, temp to perm
Senior VFX Artist
Closing 3 May 2023
- Warner Bros. Entertainment Group of Companies
Closing 22 May 2023
- Warner Bros. Entertainment Group of Companies
- Knutsford, Remote
- perm, remote
Want more Lead Character Artist jobs?
Want to find more Artist jobs, 3D Modeller jobs, CG Modeller jobs, Character Designer jobs, Model Maker jobs, Modelling jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.