Mediatonic is one of the UK's largest independent game developers with around 200 people across 6 locations worldwide. With incredibly diverse games, from top-grossing mobile titles, to hardcore PC simulators, from major IPs to completely original titles.
Above all, we take pride in crafting games that challenge and inspire us and we invest in technology that will keep us at the forefront of the industry.
We hire experts to take on the biggest creative and technical challenges we can get our hands on and we invest in our people for the long term.
In the coming years, we have plans to grow across all our studios/locations, in order to achieve this we are looking to hire a Lead Artist to join our studio.
As Lead Artist you are responsible for visually developing, establishing and maintaining a game’s artistic style and visual quality. A great Lead Artist steers the project through strength of idea and commitment to the quality of the vision.
You are a master of the creative process with a good head for game design and an ability to rationalise creative endeavour against production needs/timelines - ensuring the right tasks are tackled in the right order that will best lead to success. You will foster good working practices and a positive working environment within your team - and you will mediate/flag if issues are seen to threaten this.
- A Game Art Lead is a highly creative thinker who establishes and maintains strong artistic direction which best fits the Game Design and business ambitions.
- They lead a game art team in delivering the game vision as directed in collaboration with the Studio Art Director.
- A talented an analytical artist, plus an experienced and respected leader.
- Skilled in one or more of the craft areas - knowledgeable in all.
- Excellent sensitivity and understanding of Game Narrative and Design.
- Ability to understand business and product needs and ability to decipher, interoperate and adhere to existing IP styles.
- Able to propose art styles that suit the game narrative and design, stretch the technology and appeal to the target audience.
- Responsible for Style Guides and directional documentation guides to deliver the art vision.
- Represents the Game Art Team and the artwork created internally and externally when needed.
- Previous Line Management experience.
- Experience on multiple games and ability to work across varied art styles.
- Keeps up to date with visual trends in entertainment - able to reference popular and obscure cultural IP...not just games.
- At least five years' games industry experience at multiple game/entertainment studios.
- Seasoned manager, experienced with innovative and talented art teams - with ability to lead, inspire, and communicate not just with the art team, but the across the entire project.
- Experience with outsourced art and external contract support.
- Familiarity with a number of different areas within the art sector, such as asset/character creation, environments, VFX, animation and lighting.
- Strong working knowledge with industry standard software such as Unity, Maya, and the Adobe Suite.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
Are you interested in creating moments that matter, for millions of players, in games that run for years?
Does the idea of working together with a friendly team of Tonics towards the common goal of making great games appeal to you?
Did we mention our out of control but totally cool sticker obsession?
We have a range of benefits at Mediatonic, including private medical care, a healthy pension scheme as well as gym discounts, childcare vouchers and free breakfast.
How to apply & really impress us:
As a people first studio, our biggest priority is to hire the right person. A cover letter that tells us a bit about you and what you’re passionate about really helps to get our attention and distinguish your application from the crowd.
Successful applications will usually have a phone chat before being invited to an interview at Mediatonic. If you are applying for a creative role, remember a portfolio is essential. For all applications we suggest you read the job description carefully and let us know why you believe you’re the right person to take on this job.
We receive heaploads of applications, and while we do our best to respond, we can't always guarantee this.
Senior Graphic Designer
Closing 30 August 2020
Product Design Leader, Workplace AR/VR
Closing 2 August 2020
Want more Lead Artist jobs?
Want to find more 2D Artist jobs, 3D Artist jobs, Artist jobs, Digital Artist jobs, Gaming Artist jobs, Animation Artist jobs, Concept Artist jobs, Layout Artist jobs, Special Effects Artist jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.