Junior Designer, Womenswear Soft Wovens
Ready to join one of the most successful fashion brands on the high street? Do you have a passion for fashion? Driven to achieve? United to win? If your answers are yes, we think you’ll love it here on the Island…
From our first shop in the remains of a North London bombsite in the 1940s, to now over 250 stores across the UK, Ireland and internationally. We are known for our stylish, affordable fashion and we like to shout-it loud.
Our Island community is everything and we are stronger together. Every Islander counts in making fashion a force for good and we value individuality and difference. Exceptional people have made River Island a success for over 70 years. Together we will continue to do so in the years ahead.
We are one team. We are the difference. We are River Island.
Our Design Team deliver stand-out, affordable fashion with the unique style and touches that underpin the River Island handwriting. As a Junior Designer, you’ll start to influence the direction for your categories, and will be accountable for full development cycle of products for inclusion in the final ranges, that represent key trends and drive commercial results.
- Develop product from concept to completion that represents key trends and commercial opportunities
- Through sound understanding of fabric, engineering, fit and quality, produce designs to a high technical standard, and high first sample hit rate, for the level of the market
- Through broad market and customer awareness and research, and a thorough understanding of the River Island brand, input ideas to influence Product Development discussions that address key trends and opportunities
- Start to show an understanding of sales history, sales and margin targets and range plans for your own area of accountability to ensure designs are aligned to deliver on commercial opportunities
- Starting to develop relationships and collaborate with Buying counterparts, suppliers and fabric mills, identifying opportunities for newness
Key experience required:
- Previous experience as an Assistant Designer or equivalent is essential
- Qualifications or studies relevant to Design are essential
- Must be able to provide a portfolio of Design work
Job role competencies:
- Advanced Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop skills are essential
- Strong Product Development skills
- Strong technical and creative design skills
- Strong organisation skills
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Foundational commercial awareness
- Foundational network in te market and industry
- Self-starter, curious and continuous learning mindset
- Passion for the RI brand and customer
The base location for this role is at our Head Office in West London. Hanger Lane is the nearest tube station on the central line, alternatively we have a free on-site car park should driving be an option.
And wait, did we mention the perks?
- Discount – Generous 50% staff discount so you can treat yourself!
- RI Rewards – More discounts and vouchers with Perks at Work
- Island culture – We have a gym, subsidised restaurant & Costa, and a bargain staff shop, all onsite!
- Work that stays at work – Flexible working is a given, on top of payday early finishes and Summer Fridays
- Health Benefits – Attractive healthcare cashplan, childcare vouchers, eye vouchers, ride to work scheme, EAP and more…
- Giver Island – Give as you earn scheme, a ‘Giver Island’ day each year and matched funding[AO1]
- Training on the job – Support with upskilling skills through on the job training and qualifications
- Pension - A contributory private pension scheme
- Holiday - 25 days paid holiday
We mentioned the discount, right?
At River Island we are committed to the safeguarding of all of our employees regardless of age or job role. We will fulfil our obligation under the Prevent duty which seeks to stop extremism and extremist views from materialising in our business. We promote and encourage the belief in British Values- including democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of different faiths and beliefs.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Closing 18 December 2021
Junior Digital Designer
Closing 20 December 2021
- Urban Outfitters
Junior Digital Designer
Closing 8 December 2021
- Sports Direct
Want more Junior Designer, Womenswear Soft Wovens jobs?
Want to find more Product Designer jobs, Fashion Design Assistant jobs, Fashion Designer jobs, Fashion Graphic Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.