The Content Production Systems (CPS) team which created and maintains the system behind powering some of the most successful websites in the world, BBC News/Sport/World Service, is offering you a chance to contribute to both the current and next generation of authoring tools used by journalist to create content at the BBC.
CPS has been around a long time. It started 20 years ago and is credited as the world’s first ever content management system for news.
But, don’t worry, we have evolved massively in that time. We work with cutting edge technologies hosted on the cloud using a Kanban agile process.
And we work at scale; our tools generate around 3.5k assets a day, are used by around 1.5k active users across the globe and our Content API handles around 3.5k requests per second.
This role is part of the front-end/UI focused team that develop a suite of journalist-facing tools across a range of technologies including Angular 1 & 2, React/Redux and Node.
You’d be joining a dedicated, innovative team at an exciting time, as we look to continue the transformation of our tools to better support whole new kinds of rich, interactive, live digital journalism.
- Develop effective software that meets given specifications
- Review and give feedback on others’ code
- Write appropriate tests using automated test driven techniques for ensure code quality
- Integrate the software with monitoring and support tools
- Support system integration in its operating environment
- Write and review technical documentation
- Help to troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout the product life cycle, including out of hours support for incident resolution
- Participate in the team's agile planning and delivery process
- Effectively participate in the teams software development methodologies, such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing and continuous delivery
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies
The Ideal Candidate
- Demonstrable experience writing and maintaining robust production software
- Competence in one or more mainstream development languages and frameworks
- Competence with one or more mainstream development and deployment tool chains (IDE, SCCS, CI)
- Knowledge of the web architecture and key technologies (HTTP, DNS, distributed design)
- Competence in test driven development and broader testing & QA concerns
- Competence in developing for operational concerns (monitoring integration, performance testing, security considerations)
- Experience of project working and professional software development processes, including agile
- Effective collaboration within a team – ability to speak up, challenge, agree and commit
- Experience of database design and use in software applications
- Takes responsibility for driving tasks to completion
- Understanding of designing & implementing for non-functional concerns
- Worked in a professional software development environment on several projects (including experience in testing, design and release)
- Experience of releasing their software to a production use case
- Participated in reviews and inspections of code (sat with a peer or someone more senior reviewing your code)
- Software Engineering or Computer Science Degree or equivalent
Grade 7 (proposed band C)
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
Software Architect - Apple
Closing 4 January 2018
Middleweight / Senior Graphic Designer - Creative Agency
Closing 9 January 2018
- gr8 Recruitment
- £30,000 to 32,000 p/a
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.