International Climate Editor
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others. The organisation also includes Xandr’s suite of advanced advertising solutions designed to help to improve advertising for brands, publishers, and consumers.
Climate is a story that touches all of CNN’s audiences and all of our journalistic beats: international and national news, politics, business, health and wellness, travel, science, and beyond.
CNN is expanding its coverage of this important topic and looking to hire a team dedicated to climate. Together they will work across all of digital, and with domestic and international newsgathering teams, to prioritize and coordinate CNN’s climate coverage in a manner that emphasizes the best of CNN’s DNA: Urgency. Essential, global “Go There” reporting. Facts backed by data and science. Journalism that holds power to account. Stories that connect dots and explain consequences.
The International Climate Editor will have deep contacts in the international science community, a solid background in climate and environment reporting/production, a proven track record of delivering work in a matrixed organisation, and a passion to elevate this critical beat in a way that engages audiences. The position will work together with our climate beat leader in Newsgathering and Climate Editor to break news, surface new and engaging stories, and educate our audience on the global impacts and efforts around the climate crisis.
- Deliver big cross-platform reporting projects that engage audiences.
- Work with the climate team and other partners in CNN to create journalism that drives real impact.
- Write daily and longer-form stories.
- Drive content into new mediums, which could include newsletters, podcasts, etc.
- Edit content from CNN reporters and correspondents.
- Work with our newsgathering colleagues to develop and execute climate stories – this could include fieldwork.
- Ensure quality of content and editorial integrity across CNN’s digital platforms.
- Set an example for the whole team and mentor them to add to their skillset.
- Capable of editorially overseeing and managing long-running stories on various platforms and engaging with audiences in a variety of ways.
- Excited about experimenting with how we tell these stories – whether through data, video, graphics, or something totally new
- Substantial experience covering global climate issues.
- Very deep contacts in the international climate and environment field.
- Standout writing record and capability to deliver not just news angles but analysis – both in short and long formats.
- Experience in science journalism, including covering scientific studies.
- Real ambition to create journalism that delivers impact.
- Understanding of journalistic standards and media law essential.
- Global mindset - experience working within an international environment.
- Self-starter, capable of delivering breaking news, scoops, and agenda-setting reporting unique to CNN.
- Desire to make CNN international innovative and distinctive.
Our people make WM the inspiring organisation it is today.
At WarnerMedia, our commitment starts with you! As a company of storytellers and journalists, we have a responsibility to make sure we have a collection of voices and people whose stories reflect and connect with the global audiences and communities we serve.
WarnerMedia, and its suite of brands, have long been committed to equity and inclusion as moral and business imperatives. It is essential that our content and creative partners reflect the diversity of our society and the world around us. Together with other production companies, networks, guilds, unions, talent agencies, and others in the industry, WarnerMedia is committed to greater inclusion of people of colour, women, the LGBTQ community, those with disabilities, and other underrepresented groups in greater numbers both in front of and behind the camera.
There really has never been a better and more exciting time to join WarnerMedia.
Want more International Climate Editor jobs?
Want to find more Digital Editor jobs, Assistant Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Editor jobs, Editorial Assistant jobs, Managing Editor jobs, Production Editor jobs, Sub Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.